Autoguiding with Vixen GP

Here's the spot for anything else Shoestring or astronomy related
chrisdig
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Autoguiding with Vixen GP

Post by chrisdig » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:04 am

Hi,

I've just recently registered with SA from the sunny (not) UK. I have the following kit and would very much like to use some of it to autoguide - but am not sure how!

* A Vixen GP mount (old style 'hammered' green) with original MT-1 motors.
* The old SkySensor-3 Go-To system + handset (all in full working order)
* The WinCTC GoTo system (but cannot find a cable to connect the handcontroller - RJ11 plug - to a laptop computer to autoguide).
* A DMD-3 handcontroller which has been modified with a serial port added (i.e. 'female' socket - 5 holes along the top, 4 underneath). This was modified by the previous owner (who I don't have contact with) so am not sure what the port is connected to/its function within the handcontroller.

I thought maybe the easiest autoguider would be one of the stand-alone ones (e.g. LVI or Synguide), plugged into DMD-3 handcontroller via SA's GPUSB hub? But then I'm not sure how this would all connect up to the mount. Alternatively, there is the PHD software option but I'm not sure what mount/telescope drivers would be the correct ones for the Vixen GP (LX200 Protocol?). Maybe the EQMOD driver would work but the Vixen GP is not specificallhy listed among the HEQ 5s etc covered .

Any pointers, suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Autoguiding with Vixen GP

Post by dpanderson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:59 pm

If you are using a standalone autoguider, you do not need a GPUSB. The interface to the autoguide port is built into the autoguider.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

chrisdig

Post by chrisdig » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks Doug. Am not clear, though, how the autoguider would connect/plug into the Vixen GP which does not have a ST-4 type socket. So thought that's where I thought the GPUSB could come in useful.
Chris

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 am

Ah, now I understand.

I looked at the manual at http://www.vixenamerica.com/pdf/Mounts/ ... 3DType.pdf, but see no way to add an autoguide port. Without an autouguide port, I think the best hope is if there is an ASCOM compliant driver that works with the serial port connection to your controller. Best place to get to the bottom of that is www.ascom-standards.org
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

chrisdig

Post by chrisdig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks for the info Doug. Will investigate further!
Best,
Chris