Window 7 driver for EQDIR ???

Here's the spot for anything else Shoestring or astronomy related
b_carberry

Window 7 driver for EQDIR ???

Post by b_carberry » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:11 pm

I have been running EQMOD with my Atlas mount thru an EQDIR USB to Serial converter using SkyTool Pro 3 as my planning software on a 5-yr old Dell
Latitude D430 with Windows XP. This setup has worked well, but the Dell is reaching its end of reliable service so I've upgraded to an HP Pavilion dv6 with Windows 7. I did a totally clean unstall of all my software on the new laptop and all my other Astronomy software/hardware works fine except I can not get the HP to configure thru the ASCOM Setup for EQMOD. Specifically it will not find the COM Port in the EQMOD Port Details window. I've gone to the EQMOD Yahoo Group, and I was told that I need a Windows 7 driver for the Serial-to-USB adapter (the EQDIR). There are DLLs for several Shoestring products on the download page, but none for EQDIR. Of course I don't ever recall loading an XP driver when I first got the EQDIR either. Suggestions?

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Window 7 driver for EQDIR ???

Post by dpanderson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 am

At Shoestring, we only build the EQDIR hardware. The software is all done by a group of programmers that communicate through the EQMOD Yahoo group. The driver for your specific USB-to-serial converter is most likely available from the manufacturer.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com