DSUSB with Nebulosity on OSX, Can't get shutter to stay open

Questions about hardware and software not obtained from Shoestring Astronomy, but related to our products
peter

DSUSB with Nebulosity on OSX, Can't get shutter to stay open

Post by peter » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:49 am

I just got my DSUSB which I'm trying to get working using Nebulosity on OSX with a Canon 40D. I think I have properly configured Nebulosity to work with DSUSB. Under preferences in Nebulosity, I have the DSLR Long Exposure Adapter set to Shoestring DSUSB. When I go over a 30 second exposure (which requires the bulb setting) the DSUSB unit seems to kick end (lights come on and turn green for a sec) but the shutter opens and closes very quickly. Nebulosity thinks the shutter is still open.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB with Nebulosity on OSX, Can't get shutter to stay open

Post by dpanderson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:54 am

Here are a few things to try:

a) Make sure the camera is set to "M" on the mode dial
b) Turn off mirror lockup for the moment if it's on
c) If using an SLR lens, make sure it's set to MF (manual focus)
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

peter

Post by peter » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately still no luck for me. I verified that mirror lock was off, camera set to "M", and lens set to manual focus. I also tried taking the lens off. I also double checked all connections.

When I plug in the DSUSB the light on it comes on red. After I attempt to take a shot for 31 seconds the light turns green for a few seconds before going off.

I guess the good part is that the DSUSB seems to be recognized and reacting, however the 40D just does not want to keep the shutter open.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Which version of Nebulosity are you using?

Also, if I understand you correctly, the LED starts out red. It then changes to green when the shutter opens. Then, after a few seconds (i.e. less than 31 seconds), the LED goes out completely. Is this correct?
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

peter

Post by peter » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:10 am

I'm using Nebulosity v2.0.3b, latest version of OSX, MacBook Pro (Intel), Canon EOS 40D with firmware ver. 1.0.4.

When I plug in the DSUSB the light goes red for a few seconds and then eventually shuts off. If I take an exposure for greater than 30 seconds, the light turns green for seemingly the length of the exposure time then flashes red very quickly before going off again at the end of the sequence. As soon as the light turns green when I begin the exposure in Nebulosity I her the shutter open and close instantly.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:52 am

OK, one more question, have you tried DSLR Shutter yet? It can be found at:
http://www.stark-labs.com/DSLR_Shutter.html

This might provide further clues as to what is happening.

Thanks,
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

celstark

Post by celstark » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:41 pm

I just tried things out on my setup here with a Rebel XSi (450D) and both DSUSB and DSUSB2 adapters on my Leopard-based MacBook Pro. I attached all the cables (USB to both devices, long-exposure between camera and DSUSB) and made sure DSUSB or DSUSB2 was selected as my long-exposure adapter. At this point, the light is red on the DSUSB. I verified that my lens was in MF mode and that the camera was in M mode. I then connected to the camera via the pull-down and the light on the DSUSB goes off.

I then set up for a 35 second exposure and hit Preview. The light went green and the shutter opened. The screen on the camera started counting up the time. At 35 seconds, the light went red and the shutter closed. I tried this with both the DSUSB and DSUSB2 without issue.

Is this the sequence you've been following?

Craig

peter

Post by peter » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:17 pm

Yes, that is more or less the same process I'm following.

As suggested I also just tried it with DSLR Shutter with pretty much the same results as Nebulosity, however with DSLR Shutter the camera rapid fires off many shots for the length of time I set for the shutter duration. Nebulosity only fired off a single quick shot. I can't get either one to keep the shutter open for the selected duration. I have the camera set on manual, manual focus, etc.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm

With DSLR Shutter, make sure the camera is set to Bulb mode.

Also, have you tried DSUSBCheck? It can be downloaded at http://store.shoestringastronomy.com/do ... _setup.exe
You would need to use a PC to try this, but at least it might help narrow down whether it was the DSUSB or something else.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

peter

Post by peter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:44 pm

I still need to find a Windows box to try DSUSBCheck, however when I correctly set the camera to bulb before starting DSLR Shutter (Nebulosity does this automatically) I got the same results as I did with Nebulosity. Shutter opens and closes quickly, the light on the DSUSB stays green for the time designated.