DSUSB will not communicate with a laptop that has newer Intel Hardware

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Jstar33
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB will not communicate with a laptop that has newer Intel Hardware

Post by Jstar33 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am

I have tested DSUSB on three different computers. All are Intel based Cpu's and all are using Windows 7 X64 Professional operating systems. I am using DSUSBCheck to verify operational status.

On the laptop that does not work, DSUSB is recognized by the operating system when the device is plugged into a usb port. It is also listed in the Windows 7 "Devices an Printers" control panel. When DSUSBCheck is started it gives the "DSUSB adapter found!" message. When I try any of the commands in DSUSBCheck I get "Communication to DSUSB lost" or "Not Connected to DSUSB" message. No Commucation to the device is possible. On the other two computers DSUSBCheck functions normally and all buttons are functional.

The difference between this system and the other two computers is it uses a newer Intel Skylake Processor. It is the first Intel Chip, where Intel has removed the USB2 ports and EHCI device mode (for Usb support). It only has USB 3.0 ports with XHCI (Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller) device mode supported. I suspect that this is the problem, but cannot confirm it because I only have one system to test which contains the newer hardware.

Is there any more things I can test with this setup that would give a glue as to why it will not work?

The two systems that do work, one has a Intel Haswell Cpu and the other has a Intel Broadwell Cpu. Both systems have USB2 ports and EHCI Device mode in the Device Manager(under USB Serial BUS Controllers). On my Desktop system (Haswell cpu), I also have Eclipse Orchestrator running and this program also works with the DSUSB.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB will not communicate with a laptop that has newer Intel Hardware

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

This is the first report we have had of a problem like this, so I don't have any history to use to come up with an answer. The DSUSB is USB 1.1, but all later versions of USB are supposed to support earlier versions. Interesting that the OS installs the device properly, but doesn't support it after that.

I did some google searching, but didn't come up with a definitive answer.

I wonder if you tried a USB hub between laptop and DSUSB? Perhaps that would create a "bridge"?

I'll keep researching this. If you come up with a solution, please post here so others can benefit from your experience.

Thank you for calling this to my attention.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Jstar33

Post by Jstar33 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 pm

The laptop that will not communicate with the DSUSB is a 2016 x1 Carbon (gen 4, Skylake Cpu, No Usb 2.0 ports).

I have access to a 2015 x1 Carbon (gen 3, Broadwell Cpu with an USB 2.0 port) that does work.

The following are the things I tried but had no effect on getting the computer to communicate with the DSUSB.

1) Used a powered usb hub between the laptop and the DSUSB.

2) Tried to uninstall the current Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver and roll back to an older version.
On reboot the laptop looked for USB a driver, Integrated Camera, and Bluetooth Driver. The Bluetooth driver needing to be reloaded makes no sense to me. The Wireless controller and Bluetooth are both provided by an Intel AC8260 m.2 PCI Express plug in card.
http://ark.intel.com/products/86068/Int ... ss-AC-8260

See attached image for the drivers which were reloaded on reboot after uninstalling the Intel Usb 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller.

The 2015 X1 carbon uses the same type of setup with an Intel AC7260 m.2 PCI Express plug in card and the DSUB works with this configuration.

3) Tried disabling the Bluetooth I/O Port in the Bios.

I am out things to try. This DSUSB is the first device I have not been able to get working with this laptop.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 10686 times

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 pm

I haven't come up with any new ideas. Some sites I saw recommended upgrading to Win10, but I am guessing you want to stick with Win 7 for other reasons.

If we can't find a workaround and the DSUSB is not of use to you, I am always willing to give refunds for returned products.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Jstar33

Post by Jstar33 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:50 pm

I have not been able to get the DSUSB to work so I would like to return it for a refund.