How to use DSUSBCheck

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
willyk
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

How to use DSUSBCheck

Post by willyk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Doug,

Received my DSUSB and cable today and decided to verify if all is OK by running it through DSUSBCheck. Saw some unusual things and was wondering if this is normal.

Working with a D7000, firmware version according to the in-camera menu shows up as follows; "A" - 1.02, "B" 1.03, "L" 1.006.

Set the camera to "M" (manual mode), shutter sequence is set to "S" (single shot), auto-focus is off (set to manual) and exposure is set to BULB.

Plugged the DSUSB cable into the camera, plug the DSUSB into a USB 2.0 port on a laptop (Windows 7 Pro 16-bit). As soon as I plug the DSUSB in, the LED turns red. I start DSUSBCheck and a pop-up window "DSUSB adapter found!" pops up.

I turn the camera on.

With DSUSBCheck I can turn the LED on and off, and change the color from red to green. However, pressing "Open Shutter" with DSUSBCheck does nothing. After pressing "Open Shutter" I have to press "Assert AF/Wakeup" to get the shutter to open. Then pressing "Close Shutter" does nothing. I have to press "Deassert AF/Wakeup" to get the shutter to close.

Is this normal?

Is there a set of DSUSBCheck directions to best describe a correct sequence to use to verify all is good?

... Bill

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: How to use DSUSBCheck

Post by dpanderson » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Bill,

This is normal, different cameras require different combinations of the Wakeup and Shutter signals. Similar discussion can be found in this forum topic:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=419
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

willyk
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: How to use DSUSBCheck

Post by willyk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks Doug,

I've tried the DSUSB and my D7000 with "DSLR Shutter".

Works like a charm. Will try it with some other software programs packages and my USB hub next.

... Bill