Bulb mode not working for Nikon Backyard or Images Plus

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
DDolan1075
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Bulb mode not working for Nikon Backyard or Images Plus

Post by DDolan1075 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm

After having no troubles with imaging using my Nikon 7000 with DSUSB using Images Plus, I went out to image and could not get my computer to shoot using BULB mode. The regular modes worked just fine, just couldn't use bulb mode. I tried everything, including resetting my camera, but only able to control the camera with shorter shutter speeds. I tried downloading Nikon Backyard with the same results. I just tried using my D90 and got the same results, so probably not the camera or the programs. Any thoughts?

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Bulb mode not working for Nikon Backyard or Images Plus

Post by dpanderson » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Try our DSUSBCheck test program, found at http://store.shoestringastronomy.com/downloads.htm

If you first click "Assert Wakeup", then "Open Shutter", that sequence should work for any make of camera.

Other things: camera in bulb mode, camera in full manual mode, autofocus shut off. These are commonly overlooked items.

If none of that works, you can return the DSUSB to us and we will test it to make sure it is still working properly.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

kmmathews
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: Bulb mode not working for Nikon Backyard or Images Plus

Post by kmmathews » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:51 am

I just received the DSUSB and connected it to my Nikon D90. It would not operate the shutter in bulb mode using BackYard Nikon v1.0. I checked it out with your DSUSBCheck software and could not get it to operate the shutter following you instructions listed in the blog post. The LED lights were controlled by the software. The purchase was made by my wife before Christmas. I checked the camera and it was configured as per the blog post 10-21-2014. I also check the camera GPS port with a Yongnuo digital RF-603N and the Shutter operation worked when commanded.