DSUB + DSCBL15 + Nikon D3100

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
b.wikle
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUB + DSCBL15 + Nikon D3100

Post by b.wikle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:49 pm

I just received the DSUB and the DSCBL-15 cable. Connected everything to my computer and driver installed correctly. DSUBCheck seems to show everything is connected correctly and allows me to change the LED from Red to Green. However, I have been unable to activate the shutter on my Nikon D3100. Not sure what to do from here.

b.wikle

Re: DSUB + DSCBL15 + Nikon D3100

Post by b.wikle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Also, I have the camera set on Manual and shutter to Bulb. Shutter does open manually.

b.wikle

Post by b.wikle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Just found out that non of the shutter control software products work on the Nikon D3100 because Nikon has never released a software kit for the D3100. Might want to update the list of Nikon's in the list on the Shoestringastronomy web site for this DSCBL-15 cable and remove the D3100. It does no good to have the cable.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Does it work with our DSUSBCheck utility, or with DSLR Shutter from www.stark-labs.com? Neither of these require support from Nikon.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

b.wikle

Post by b.wikle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:20 pm

No, it does not work with the DSUBCheck program. The DSUBCheck program seems to connect and recognize the DSUB unit and the cable, and it will change the LED's from GREEN to RED, but it will not activate the shutter on the D3100 when it is in Manual mode with shutter on Bulb. The Imagesplus guy told me that Nikon does not provide a support package for that model camera. Also, I noticed that digiCamControl software doesn't support the D3100 in Bulb mode either.

b.wikle

Post by b.wikle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 pm

The DSLR Shutter program doesn't work with this camera either.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:26 am

Please return the DSUSB and cable to us. We can verify that they are working correctly. If they are not, we will ship replacements back to you, or you can choose to receive a full refund. Please be sure to include a note with your return so we know what to do when it arrives.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

b.wikle

Post by b.wikle » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:28 pm

ok, thanks. will do

psybiggs

Post by psybiggs » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Hey there, I'm curious to know if you ever got the DSUSB to work with the D3100.

I just received my DSUSB and Cable (thanks for the quick turnaround), but I'm having trouble getting it to play nice with my D3100. When using DSUSB Check, the computer and box are talking nicely, LED On, LED Off, LED Red and LED Green all work.

When I plug in and turn on the camera I get inconsistent responses to the other options. (Camera in Manual, Shutter Set to Bulb)

Here's what I get

Assert AF/Wakeup will turn off the Info Screen, but also opens the shutter when Open Shutter will not
Desssert AF/Wakeup will activate the Info Screen, but also will close the shutter when Close Shutter will not
Open Shutter opens the shutter, but never two times in a row
Close Shutter does NOT close the shutter, and will sometimes activate the Info Screen

That being said, I can get Stark Labs DSLR Shutter to work (tonight) , which was the main reason I got the DSUSB. Though last night, couldn't get it to work to save the life of me.

Anyway, weird but as long as DSLR keeps working, I'm happy.

cheers, Steve

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:29 pm

I have not heard back from the original poster, but I did send him a replacement DSUSB. I am assuming he got it to work since he has not contacted me to say otherwise.

Shutter and Wakeup are the two signals that go to most cameras. Different manufacturers, and even different models from the same manufacturer, use different combinations of these two signals to fire the shutter. Usually, if you first assert Wakeup then Shutter, it should open the shutter regardless of the camera. Close Shutter then deassert Wakeup should always close the shutter.

The DSLR Shutter software offers several options for the Shutter/Wakeup signals. It sounds like you found one that works for you.

DSUSBCheck is not really meant to be an app that you would use during an imaging session to fire the shutter. It is meant to be a tool to test the DSUSB and cables independent of any third-party software. This helps when troubleshooting to figure out if there is a hardware issue or a software issue.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

psybiggs

Post by psybiggs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:28 am

Doug, thanks for your response.