DSUSB Stopped working

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
aldo56
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB Stopped working

Post by aldo56 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:20 pm

hello, As a proud owner of a GPUSB, FCUSB and DSUSB I had an issue last night where shutter control stopped working on my Canon 350D. I tried several different cables, and tried in Nebulosity and Backyard EOS and nothing works if I try to do over a 30 sec sub I get error message or in nebulosity progress begins and then I hear shutter open and close approx 30 sec later it also at 1 point (was set for 1 exposure) continously tripped shutter until I shut camera off I believe there is in issue with the DSUSB is there a repair/replace for this?

Mike Clancey

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB Stopped working

Post by dpanderson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Mike,

We do offer repair/replacement service. You can return the unit to us with a reminder note so we know what to do when we receive it. Our address is:
Shoestring Astronomy
24079 - 670th Ave
Nevada, IA 50201

Once we receive and inspect it, we will email you with the results. A typical repair is $20.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

aldo56

Post by aldo56 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 am

Doug,

Thank you for the reply, I will send it off soon (along with a note) to have it repaired/replaced

mike C

HPI

Post by HPI » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 pm

My DSUSB has stopped working as well. I use it with a Nikon D3. All the settings were as they should be. My MC-36 triggers the camera shutter in Bulb mode just fine. The DSUSBCheck app shows it connects and the LED works. However, there is no activity with the shutter. It was working one moment when I was selecting open/close shutter and then it stopped. I tried the different combination of buttons in DSUSBCheck and still nothing. There is no shutter functionality with BYN or SGP either. I was not able to get it working again, even after rebooting and reloading the test app. I'm not sure what driver should install for the box itself. I also remember I could hear a clicking sound from the box when the shutter activates, possibly an internal relay, but there is no sound now.

Also, before the shutter totally stopped working, I would get intermittent shutter control with BYN and SGP. For example, I would be doing several 60 second exposures and maybe 1 or 2 would complete before the shutter releases prematurely and doesn't complete the sequence. Then when trying the redo the sequence, the shutter would not activate until I unplug and replug in the DSUSB cabling. Basically it would not reliably engage and release the shutter when using various DSUSB compatible software.

Is there anything else I can do/check before submitting for repair? If not, I'll send it in for repair. I bought it only a few months ago. Is it covered under warranty? If not, how is the cost paid?

Thanks.

Ciao,
Mel

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:01 pm

Mel,

It sounds like you have done an excellent job of troubleshooting. It sounds like either the DSUSB has died, or the cable between DSUSB and camera. Please send them back to us for test and repair/replacement, they are covered by our warranty. Also, please include a note with your return to remind us.

FYI, there is no relay internal to the DSUSB. It should not be making any noises.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

HPI

Post by HPI » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

I'll send them back. Thanks for the reply.

Ciao,
Mel

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Your package arrived today. The DSUSB and DSCBL-04 checked out fine, but the DSCBL-12 adapter cable had one pin that was bad. I have sent a new DSCBL-12 and your original DSUSB and DSCBL-04 back to you.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy