DSUSB suddenly stopped working

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Kelowna_Dave
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB suddenly stopped working

Post by Kelowna_Dave » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 am

I've searched for a similar problem/solution on the web, but so far haven't been able to find a similar situation.

I purchased DSUSB a few weeks back and everything seemed just fine until late last week when suddenly the shutter wouldn't fire my Canon XTi above 30 secs. Puzzled, I downloaded and ran DSUSBCheck yesterday. While the software does find the DSUSB and I can turn the lights on/off or green/red, nothing happens when I try to either open/close the shutter. Also tried the Assert/Deassert AF/Wakeup to no avail either.

I tried using my hand held shutter release and it works fine so the BLUB setting is ok.

I don't know if it's a issue with the setting(s) on my XTi somehow getting mangled (they appear to all be ok) or DSUSB internal electronics or the cable or cable connection. Don't understand why a cable or cable connection would fail tho.

I do have another cable coming any day (it may even be in my post box, I'll check later) for my Canon 60Da. Once it arrives I should be able to pinpoint the problem area a bit better.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
dave

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB suddenly stopped working

Post by dpanderson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:44 am

Dave,

I don't know how each individual camera model responds, but with DSUSBCheck you may need to first click Assert, then click Shutter Open.

If that doesn't work, I have no further suggestions. You are following all the right steps to debug the problem. It will be interesting to see what the new cable does. If that doesn't work either, then I suspect the DSUSB output has died and we will repair or replace it.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Kelowna_Dave

Post by Kelowna_Dave » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Doug.

The new cable arrived today. Unfortunately I (wrongly) assumed the 60D and the 60Da would take the same DSCBL-11 cable, but wasn't sure3 so I sent you an email last week which you confirmed the DSCBL-11 was the correct cable for the 60Da. However, looks like we were both wrong.

I've enclosed an image of the ports on the 60Da which clearly show a "round hole" like the Canon XTi. My DSCBL-9 (purchased for my XTi) did work for a while with the 60Da. , but when the shutter began failing I thought it might be related to the new camera. Hence the purchase of the DSCBL-11.

Then, when I went to use my XTi while waiting for the new cable, I found DSUSB wasn't working.

I just tried Assert then Open, but nothing clicks.

Bottom line Doug, I have a DSUSB which isn't working and a DSCBL-11 which is of no value to me.

Sorry to be a newbie nuisance, but I appreciate your help
david
Attachments
Canon60Da_Ports.gif
Canon 60Da ports
Canon60Da_Ports.gif (138.63 KiB) Viewed 13859 times

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Apologies that my assumption was wrong as well. Good information to know for the future.

Please return the DSUSB and both cables. I'll send you a refund for the DSCBL-11, and will test and repair/replace the DSUSB and/or DSCBL-91.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

Kelowna_Dave

Post by Kelowna_Dave » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:41 am

Great, thanks Doug.

I'll get them into the mail today.
david
Last edited by Kelowna_Dave on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelowna_Dave

Post by Kelowna_Dave » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:44 am

Oh my... it's too early in the morning... too many things on my mind... need another coffee before getting on-line.

I meant "Thanks Doug" in my previous message.

sheesh
david

Kelowna_Dave

Post by Kelowna_Dave » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 am

dpanderson wrote:Apologies that my assumption was wrong as well. Good information to know for the future.

Please return the DSUSB and both cables. I'll send you a refund for the DSCBL-11, and will test and repair/replace the DSUSB and/or DSCBL-91.
Hi Doug.

Just a quick note to let you know the DSUSB and cables arrived safe and sound yesterday afternoon. I checked everything this morning and all are working just fine.

thanks for the very prompt service.
david

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 am

Excellent news. Thanks for the follow-up post.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy