Problem with DSUSB and Nikon D5100

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
TimN
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Problem with DSUSB and Nikon D5100

Post by TimN » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:40 pm

I just received a DSUSB with a cable DSCBL-15 and an 6 foot extension for my Nikon D5100. I already have a DSUSB-IR1 for my D40 and it also works well with my D5100. When I tested the new DSUSB it with DSLR-Shutter and with DSUSBCheck I have these symptoms. The colors are fine with DSUSBCheck and with DSLR-Shutter they shift between red and green exactly the same as the DSUSB-IR1. However, with the new DSUSB the shutter does not open. I've tried all the combinations in DSUSBCheck that I can think of and all the options in DSLR-Shutter but still no shutter opening. However, I did notice that both programs freeze the camera when the shutter should be opening and then return it to normal when the shutter should close. I think this is normal behaviour but the shutter should open and close as well. Therefore, I know a signal is reaching the camera. I have tried this with and without USB hubs and with and without the extension - same results.

I have the camera on manual and bulb and on remote. If I attach the DSUSB-IR1 it works and if I leave the camera settings the same and then attach the DSUSB I get the results mentioned above. I use an older laptop - 32 bit running Windows 8 - but I have also tried running both programs in compatibility mode using Windows XP. No difference.

Is there anything - probably obvious - that I have missed? If not, is there anything on the unit that I can test to see if everything is OK? Thanks.

TimN

TimN

Re: Problem with DSUSB and Nikon D5100

Post by TimN » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Ok, I now have it working. Sorry for the confusion. The issue was in the setup menu. Both GPS items ("auto meter-off" and Use "GPS to set camera clock") must be set to OFF. I've never used a GPS on this camera, so I assume the default was on. The solution makes sense as the camera uses the same MC-DC2 remote connection for the GPS as the DSUSB uses for shutter control. Also, you must use the same settings for DSLR-Shutter as discussed below for the D7000. Hope this helps someone else.

TimN

Post by TimN » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Ok, just to confuse the issue more. It seems that when I was playing around with settings I was taking the most recent images with the shutter set to "Quiet remote" instead of the "Quick Response Remote" that I usually use with the DSUSB-IR1. When I changed the GPS settings back to the default "On" it still continues to work if I use the "Quiet Remote" but not with the "Quick Response Remote". So, I can think of only 2 possibilities. It should be set to "Quiet Remote" to work or I have a random problem that comes and goes and I am attributing it to the changes that I am making. So, I will leave it at "Quiet Remote" and use it for awhile. I'll post my final - hopefully -result back here.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Tim,

I really appreciate you posting your findings here so that other D5100 users can benefit from your experience.

Thanks,
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

TimN

Post by TimN » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:49 pm

No Problem Doug. I've been helped so many times by other peoples posts that if this helps 1 other D5100 user, its been more than worth it. Now for what I believe is the final solution. I have played around with this since I last posted and I'm sure its the fact that you have to use the "Quiet Shutter Release" setting for the DSUSB. The DSUSB-IR1 can use the "Quick Response Remote" but that setting only works occasionally with the DSUSB. The "Quiet Shutter Release" setting lifts the mirror up and down before and after the lens opens so it should add less noise to the image. For astronomy, I should have been using this all along :oops: So, using the "Quiet Shutter Release" I got 23 out of 23 tests to work, while using the "Quick Response Remote" I got 2 out of 23 to work.

Also, if you are using DSLR Shutter be sure to set it to "AF during exposure (Nikon D200)". Again, this is different from the DSUSB-IR1. Hope all this helps somebody.

Finally, I'd like to thank Doug for his product. People that run small part time businesses, that cater to a small hobby clientele, often do more to help the enjoyment of that hobby than they realize. Many of us would find it difficult to produce these cables on our own and would never get to enjoy the hobby as much as we do. Thanks Doug!

TimN

Post by TimN » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Just to add some further information after my final solution :) The Nikon D5100 has a menu to set the various release modes. The modes referring to remote - whether its delayed or quick response - are for the IR remote only. So, can be used for the DSUSB-IR1 only. The DSUSB cannot be used with the remote modes but can be used with the "Quiet Shutter Release" as I previously indicated but can also be used with the "single frame" or the "Self Timer". I assume this may hold true for some other Nikons. Unfortunately, the remote modes were working occasionally for the DSUSB, which added to my original confusion. Sorry :oops:

fulatoro

Post by fulatoro » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:46 pm

TimN,

Thanks for all the useful information. I also own a D5100. Did you find that the "Quiet Release Mode" helped image quality?

Moussa

TimN

Post by TimN » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 am

Good question, Moussa. I'm really not sure. There are so many variables to my image taking, I just haven't tested that - at least since I started using quiet release mode. I figured that it couldn't hurt my image so I just started using it and I haven't tried testing without it.

Tim

TimN

Post by TimN » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:59 am

I just checked my D5100 and noticed it was set to "single frame". I also use it for non AP stuff so I must have forgot to change it back to "quiet release". So, I've been taking my images with both modes and if there is a difference I didn't notice or blamed it on something else. I should have been more careful but I would just be guessing as to the effect now.

fulatoro

Post by fulatoro » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:35 pm

TIM,

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that spring in either mode lifts the mirror before capture. The only distended is when the mirror is put back into place after shutter release. You probably won't see any difference either way.

Moussa