DSUSB won't control my Canon 20DA

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
sdixon
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB won't control my Canon 20DA

Post by sdixon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:45 pm

I recently ordered and quickly received a DSUSB and cable to control my Canon 20Da using Images Plus (IP) camera control. I also downloaded and installed DSUSBCheck. IP controls the 20Da camera just fine throug a USB connection for exposures up to 30 seconds. I can control the LED light on the DSUSB with DSUSBCheck connected to a separate USB port.

Unfortunately, I cannot open the shutter for bulb exposures either with DSUSBCheck or with IP. Mirror lock is disabled in the 20Da and what I mean by the shutter not opening is that the distinctive sound of the mirror actuating does not occur.

In DSUSBCheck I have tried different setings of AF/Wakeup. I note that when I press "open shutter" in DSUSBCheck the 20Da display changes from a setting less than 30 seconds to BULB but the shutter does not open.

In IP "Bulb Capture" I have selected DSUSB and 20D for control type and camera. IP seems to command an exposure but the mirror actuation does not occur. IP indicates it is waiting for a download that never happens.

The good news is that using DSUSBCheck the DSUSB controls my Canon Xti just fine. Of course I have to change to the shoestring provided Xti cable. This makes me very suspicious of the 20Da cable.

Assistance is needed and appreciated.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB won't control my Canon 20DA

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Please send an email to doug@shoestringastronomy.com with the model number of the cable you ordered and your shipping address and I will send a second one to you to try.

Thanks,
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com