GPUSB Checkout

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Badnight
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

GPUSB Checkout

Post by Badnight » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:42 pm

I went through this forum to get the testing information before posting, here are my results as my mount
will not respond through this interface. I can control the ATlas EQ-G through the hand controller as well as through
the PC using ASCOM and USB2EQ6.

Unconnected to the mount and connected to USB source only, I measure 2.13VDC. Powering on the Atlas, I measure
4.98VDC at pins 3,4,5,6 referenced from Pin2 common on the GPUSB test points.

All LEDs function using GPUSB Check. When I enable the mount direction buttons, the respected Pin# drops "low"
to .6VDC. Everything appears to function on the test points when the go "low" but the mount does not move using
the autoguider port. I left each button enabled for about 5 minutes and no movement.

Is .6VDC Low enough to be below threshhold to activate the motor direction of the mount? Noticed others are reading
.3vdc.

Can a cable be fabricated on my end with the RJ-12 connector and plugged into the guideport and leave the other
wires at the opposite end stripped and connected one at a time to common to test if the mount responds directly?
Not sure if a direct connection would short as opposed to using a transistor for switching isolation.

Not sure what else I am missing at this point.

Thanks for assistance.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: GPUSB Checkout

Post by dpanderson » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 pm

0.6V should be low enough to get movement.

I believe that tracking must be enabled on the mount in order to get it to respond to autoguide commands. You might want to check to be sure your mount is. See page 7 of http://www.telescope.com/assets/product ... _05-06.pdf.

Shorting between pin 2 and pins 3, 4, 5, or 6 should create movement if the mount is configured and operating properly.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com