Getting D7000 to work with DSUSB and DSLR Shutter

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Flea77
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Getting D7000 to work with DSUSB and DSLR Shutter

Post by Flea77 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I got my order in today (man you ship fast!) and the fustration started quickly. DSLR Shutter would do absolutely nothing and the DSUSB diagnostic program worked with the LEDs but did weird things with the other buttons. Instead of boring you with a lot of useless information on the hours (and assorted non-repeatable words) that followed, I will just post the solutions in hopes it helps someone:

1) Plug in the box to the computer, then the other cable from the box to your camera.
2) Set DSLR Shutter to use the DSUSB if it doesn't automatically find it, then under the file menu select "AF during exposure (Nikon D200)", trust me on this one.
3) If you want to use the mirror lockup feature (why wouldnt you?) make sure that is checked on the main DSLR Shutter screen.
4) Set your D7000 for M mode (top left dial), then Mup mode (dial just below the top left dial), then rotate the top rear thumb dial until you see BULB, lastly make sure you move the focus selector to M (left front of the camera near the bottom).
5) I would suggest setting DSLR Shutter to at least 5 seconds before and 5 seconds after each frame to make sure vibrations have settled and to allow a little time for the sensor to cool off.
6) Start shooting!

Allan

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Getting D7000 to work with DSUSB and DSLR Shutter

Post by dpanderson » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Allan,

Thanks for posting this so that others may benefit from your experience.

Enjoy,
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com