Help with DSUSB

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
mhamburg

Help with DSUSB

Post by mhamburg » Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi Doug,
I am running my Canon 40D with Nebulosity 2 on my Windows XP laptop. I can control the shutter with the advanced settings on Nebulosity (longer than 30s), but want to achieve mirror lock-up with the DSUSB. However, I am getting no response from the adapter. I have the 3-pin connector plus extension, but nothing happens when I click on the shutter windows in DSUSB Check. What am I missing or is there a problem with the hardware? Thanks for the help.
Michael

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Help with DSUSB

Post by dpanderson » Mon May 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Using DSUSBCheck, are you able to change the color of the LED on the DSUSB? If so, then we know the USB link is operating properly.

The camera will need to be set to Bulb mode for the wired remote to be utilized.

Some cameras require both the Wakeup/autofocus and shutter signals to be asserted to fire the shutter. So, using DSUSBCheck, first click Assert Wakeup, then click Assert Shutter. Does this cause the shutter to open?

Let me know if any of this helps.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

mhamburg

Re: Help with DSUSB

Post by mhamburg » Tue May 03, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the quick reply. I won't be at the observatory for about 10 days (ugh!), but I will test what you mentioned. As far as I remember, clicking on the LED boxes did nothing. I will write you when I test the connection in 10 days.

Michael