GPINT-PT ASCOM

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

GPINT-PT ASCOM

Post by Newbie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 am

Hello,

the GPUSB device comes with an ASCOM Interface. Now I'm wondering why there isn't such an interface to the GPINT-PT adapter? Namely, I couldn't get Cartes du Ceil to work with the GPINT-PT :(

Did I just not find the driver or am I wrong about how things work? OK, the GPINT is an autoguiding relais box, not a goto device. But the GPUSB isn't either - and with encoders installed, where's the problem in using the ST-4 interface to facilitate GOTO?

Please bear with me, I'm new to all this stuff.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: GPINT-PT ASCOM

Post by dpanderson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:36 am

The GPINT is supported directly (i.e. no need for ASCOM) by most autoguide programs, thus there has never been a need for an ASCOM driver.

Using the ST-4 port for GOTOs would probably work in theory, but the slew rate would be so slow that I don't think it would be very practical.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: GPINT-PT ASCOM

Post by Newbie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks for your quick reply!
dpanderson wrote:The GPINT is supported directly (i.e. no need for ASCOM) by most autoguide programs, thus there has never been a need for an ASCOM driver.
So I have to ask the Cartes du Ciel authors to natively support the GPINT interface. Too bad I didn't see that when purchasing the GPINT (would have bought the GPUSB).
Using the ST-4 port for GOTOs would probably work in theory, but the slew rate would be so slow that I don't think it would be very practical.
With encoders, you could nudge the scope near the wanted position and let the GOTO do the rest. In my situation, this would be at least as practical (and probably less time consuming) as "real GOTO" with faster slew rate.

I wouldn't ask if there were no ASCOM interface for the GPUSB. I mean ... the slow slew rate is the very same with GPUSB and GPINT!