DSUSB-IR1

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
hickeydp
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB-IR1

Post by hickeydp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:42 am

Hi,

I bought a DSUSB-IR1 about a year ago to control my Nikon D90. I've just recently bought a modified Canon 350D and I was wondering if it is possible to use the DSUSB-IR1 with the Canon? Basically my question really is, is the DSUSB-IR1 black box unit the same as the DSUSB, the IR1 bit being the IR cable that comes with it?

Thanks in advance for your help
Damien

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB-IR1

Post by dpanderson » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 am

Unfortunately the difference goes deeper than that. There are different circuits and different firmware internally.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

hickeydp

Post by hickeydp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Cheers Doug, I feared that may be the case. Looks like I'll be buying more of your products :)

kvcook

Post by kvcook » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:42 am

Damien (and Doug too) - Am taking the plunge into astrophotography, and just ordered a DSUSB-IR1 from Doug to use with my D90. I am curious as to how you mounted the IR head? I was thinking of either routing it through my guidescope rings or using cable ties to secure it to the main OTA just ahead of the focuser. Not sure how close it needs to be to the camera sensor - though I do know the little Nikon IR remote control works from a fair distance away.

Thanks for any suggestions. And while this isn't the right forum, any tips on using the D90 will be much appreciated too.

Kevin (Prescott AZ)