DSUSB w/Canon 400D & Nebulosity

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
2cvha
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB w/Canon 400D & Nebulosity

Post by 2cvha » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:15 pm

I have had no success with shutter control on my Canon Digital rebel xTi 400D using Nebulosity. When I try to select an exposure >30seconds, I get an error saying there is no long exposure shutter control attached. My computer does detect the DSUSB. When I run DSUSB check program, I can switch on/off both LED's, but no shutter control. Tried Assert/De-assert, but no effect. Tried Stark's DSLR Shutter program, but no shutter control. I tried all 4 settings in the Canon Special Function #4 (AE/AF Lock/Unlock), but no success. Has anybody had any success with this camera/program configuration? I'm using a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, though I also tried using an H-P laptop with Windows XP. I'm not sure what to do next.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB w/Canon 400D & Nebulosity

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm

I've used the DSUSB and all the software packages you have mentioned successfully with a Canon 350D, a close cousin to the 400D. We have had many customers use the 400D with no trouble too.

Given that DSUSBCheck can change the color of the LED, you can be sure that the DSUSB is communicating successfully with your computer.

Do you have the camera shutter speed set to Bulb mode?
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

2cvha

Post by 2cvha » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:52 pm

Yes, I verified that.

2cvha

Post by 2cvha » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:24 pm

I just tried it again and made sure camera was set to BULB - while starting up Nebulosity, I selected 60 seconds and previewed it. Got the same error message saying exposures longer than 30 seconds needed shutter control. Looks like the camera is not getting a signal from the DSUSB.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Does DSUSBCheck still work? If so, then it seems like an issue between the DSUSB and Nebulosity. If not, then I can send you a second DSUSB to try out. Just email doug@shoestringastronomy.com with your shipping address.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

2cvha

Post by 2cvha » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Doug, I received the backup DSUSB - had the same result. I couldn't operate the shutter in DSUSB. I tried DSLR SHUTTER and ran it, the LED's on the DSUSB changed to the correct state, but the shutter didn't operate. Tried it in Nebulosity and got the same 30sec error message. I thought that maybe there is a problem with the camera itself, so I unplugged everything and plugged in my manual remote shutter switch - it worked with that.

TommyFF

Post by TommyFF » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Same error i get whit it and NEB2, but allso if i chose Canon Remote shooting, i cant go over 30 sek, i beeing using dsusb for a year whit no problems, i await clear night to test i again, it work fine on the table last night indoor, i have no clue :shock: :P

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Is everything about your setup indoors the same as it is outdoors (computer, USB cables, USB hub, camera, etc)?
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

TommyFF

Post by TommyFF » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Yes, it the same usbhub and cabels, but lets see, prhaps tonight will be clear for 1 time in 14 days...