cable for Nikon D5000

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Mark Gaffney
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

cable for Nikon D5000

Post by Mark Gaffney » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:04 am

Do you have a cable to link the DUSB device to a Nikon D5000. I`ve just bought the 4 pin Nikon cable but it dosen`t appear to fit. Your 10 pin cable seems to have a round connection which is also foreign to this camera.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: cable for Nikon D5000

Post by dpanderson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 pm

It appears that the D5000 uses the Nikon MC-DC2 wired remote. We don't have a cable that is compatible, so the options would be to buy an MC-DC2 and we can modify it, or buy our DSUSB-IR1 and run through the infrared port on the camera.

I sure wish Nikon would pick one connector and stick with it.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Mark Gaffney

Post by Mark Gaffney » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks Doug, I`d just about worked that out myself this morning. I`m not sure if I want to be sending my newly acquired shutter cable straight off to you for modification when I could be using it! I may wait another while (a week or a bit more) `til I get another one from Hong Kong...

Mark Gaffney

Post by Mark Gaffney » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:37 am

Would the present 4 pin cable I have provide the appropriate Shutter, Ground & Wake-up wires if I buy the $5 kit for doing it myself & is this all I need to connect? I have had a quick read of the PDF instructions...

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

You could use the DSCBL-13 you have, and not buy the $5 kit we sell. The DSCBL-13 was miswired by our manufacturer, so we put a new 3.5mm audio plug on ourselves. Thus you should be able to cut the cable off near the connector and unscrew the housing of the connector, pull it off, and unsolder the wires inside. Then just take the MC-DC2 compatible remote and cut and solder the 3.5mm audio connector on per our instructions. If you wanted to use the MC-DC2 compatible remote later for manual control, you would need a female 3.5mm audio connector for the handcontrol end of the cable.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

Mark Gaffney

Post by Mark Gaffney » Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Doug, I have a cable now from Hong Kong which has the Nikon D5000 plug-in on one end (It was one I obtained without the remote button on it but just a 3 point plug of some kind). I`ve just cut off the connectors at the long ends of both it & the DSCBL-13 & bared the main cable. There are a red, a yellow & a bare wire in the HK cable. I take it these wires join up to their corresponding colours when re-soldered to the different cables..i.e...with the white wire from the DSCBL-13 going to the bare wire of the HK cable & red & yellow wires together? There is another element of flex in the DSCBL-13..should this be ignored?

Thanks, Mark.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue May 11, 2010 7:53 am

Mark,

Not knowing which color of wire the manufacturer of your cable might of used, I can't say for sure that lining up the colors would be correct.

I'll PM you with a diagram that shows both connectors and how they should be connected.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy