DSUSB and 400D

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
rbroberg
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB and 400D

Post by rbroberg » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:43 pm

I have a Canon 400D and the DSUSB. I also use Images Plus. Some months ago Images Plus stopped working and suspecting the Bulb Capture Cable was the problem I obtained the DSUSB recently to replace the previous Opt cable. I still cannot get it to work.
Running DSUSB check shows all the LED buttons operating correctly but Shutter Open and Shutter Close do nothing. If I then open the Canon EOS utility and select "Remote Shooting" the DSUSB Check buttons when open and close the shutter (as long as I do not have Mirror Lock selected in the camera which results in Open Shutter locking up the mirror but pressing again does not open the shutter unless I also press Deassert AF/Wakeup).
Even with the EOS utility left open Images Plus does not control the camera as it should.
I have downloaded the lasted dll file from your website and installed this in the Images Plus directory but this makes no difference.
I have the Camera set to M, Bulb and Manual Focus. I have the Canon RS 60E3 remote control and this operates the camera perfectly both mirror lock (if set) and open and close shutter.
Any clues on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB and 400D

Post by dpanderson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 am

I'm not sure what is happening with Images Plus, but you could try the following with DSUSBCheck:
1) Click the Assert AF/Wakeup
2) Click Open Shutter
3) Click Close Shutter
4) Click Deassert AF/Wakeup

You might also give DSLR Shutter from www.stark-labs.com a try to see if you can get proper operation.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

rbroberg

Post by rbroberg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Doug,
I have done some testing of various configurations. I have tried a different Canon Camera Cable and a different 400D camera but this makes no change to what is happening so this seems to rule out both of those as the cause of my problem.
If I have both Canon camera cable and Shoestring cable attached then if Mirror Lock is set to off in the camera I can get the ordinary Capture tab to work properly (exposures up to 30” using the Canon camera cable) but not the Bulb Capture tab that uses the Shoestring cable for longer exposures. With Mirror Lock on in the camera neither tab works.
With mirror lock on and both cables connected DSUSB Check does not do anything.
With mirror lock off and only the Shoestring cable (and not the Canon Cable) connected DSUSB Check does the following:
1. If I first click on Deassert/AF Wakeup then Open Shutter opens the shutter and Close Shutter closes the shutter.
2. If I click Assert AF/Wakeup first then Open Shutter opens the shutter, Close shutter does nothing, Deassert AF/Wakeup then closes the shutter.

With mirror lock on (and again on the Shoestring cable only) the following results:
1. Open shutter locks the mirror up.
2. Clicking open shutter again does nothing.
3. Clicking Deassert/AF Wakeup and then Open Shutter opens the shutter.
4. Clicking Close shutter closes the shutter.

Over to you for any further clues.
Robin

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:03 am

There is not a lot of consistency between camera brands and models as to the proper sequence needed to fire the shutter through the remote control port. From you information, it seems as though all parts of the system are working as long as the proper sequence is used. I am guessing that Images Plus might not be presenting the proper sequence for this camera model. Its not an easy job for software developers to get proper operation with each camera model because of the inconsistency of operation between models.

Give DSLR Shutter from www.stark-labs.com a try, just as a double-check. If that works properly, you might try contact Mike Unsold at Images Plus to see if he has ideas on why Images Plus is not working properly with your camera. His tech support can be found at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ImagesPlus/
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

rbroberg

Post by rbroberg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:46 pm

I have tried DSLR Shutter and it works as long as I have the Canon EOS facility opened and on Remote Shooting. I tried the following:
1. Camera set properly, M, 400 ISO, MF, Mirror Lock enabled, Single Shot, Raw

2. In DSLR Shutter selected:
a. No AF signal
b. Mirror Lock
c. Delay 5sec, shutter 40s, delay at end 15 sec

3. Canon EOS facility and remote camera control opened. (Without this nothing happens at the camera).

4. It all works perfectly with these settings.

5. During the sequence the lights on the DSUSB appear to work logically, going to green when mirror locks up and shutter opens and red when shutter closed.

With all the above settings Images Plus still does not connect to the camera.

I will see if Mike Unsold has any ideas. However, I am interested in what selecting "No AF signal" does as unless I select this in DSLR Shutter the sequence set out above does not work. Also what does Assert/Deassert AF/Wakeup in DSUSB do? If I understand this I might be able to work out why selecting these sort of options does make a difference.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 am

There are two electrical signals coming out of the DSUSB and most other camera remote devices. One is the Shutter signal, which is universally used by all cameras. The other signal is not used by every camera and has a variety of names depending upon the camera model. Some call it Wakeup, some call it Autofocus, etc. Some cameras require the Wakeup signal to be asserted before the Shutter signal. If you have a button style remote control, Wakeup is asserted when you press the button halfway, and both Shutter and Wakeup are asserted when you press it all the way.

Some cameras use the Wakeup signal to lock up the mirror. Some cameras need the shutter asserted once to lock up the mirror, then the shutter asserted a second time to fire the shutter. Unfortunately none of this is standardized between manufacturers and models of cameras.

I hope this help you out. I am very surprised that the EOS facility has to be opened to get this to work.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

rbroberg

Post by rbroberg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 pm

I have finally solved the problem. On the Images Plus, Bulb Capture Tab, I have to select Control Type. I have been selecting Com3 or Com4. I have now discovered that in the drop down list there is a Shoestring DSUSB selection. If I select that it all works perfectly.

Now I can get back to taking astro photos.