DSUSB and 350D

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
bobsastro
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB and 350D

Post by bobsastro » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Doug, I've used your GPINT for parallel port control, have recently got a GPUSB which works fine, and just tried out the DSUSB I received on my Canon 350D (which has worked fine under parallel port control). It is read correctly by DSUSB Check, but when I either test the camera with the Check program, or simulate capture with DSLR Focus, I get the same result no matter what sequence of plugging in the long exposure cable to the camera (I'm aware of the old problem with the sequence). In every case, when the camera is set to "M", as soon as it is connected to the DSUSB, the camera control LCD shows that it has reverted to a 4" setting, and in some cases plugging in the DSUSB triggers a 4" exposure, as does DSUSB Check when I hit the Shutter Open button. The Shutter Close button doesn't work, because the camera has already fired. When I connect using DSLR Focus, when I set DSLR Focus to Capture, the camera connection window shows a 4" exposure, and even when I set the long-exposure tab in the capture window to a minute or more, when the camera is triggered by dSLR Focus, it is only for a 4" exposure. I've tried this on both the laptop intended for the camera, and on my home PC. I've also tried running the DSUSB through either a standard USB1 port on the laptop, or a powered USB2 card in the laptop, with no changes. Can you come up with some suggestions?
Best Regards,
Bob Fuller

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB and 350D

Post by dpanderson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:09 am

HI, Bob. Sorry to hear of your trouble.

First, it is common for the shutter to fire when the cable is being plugged into the remote control jack while the camera is on. This is because as the plug is being inserted, it will momentarily short the shutter signal to ground and the plug slides into the jack.

Your 4" problem is far more mysterious. Using DSUSBCheck, you need the camera in manual mode as you have stated, but you also need to set the shutter into "bulb" mode. You do this by rotating the wheel just behind the shutter button to the left until the exposure time in the LCD says "bulb". Have you done this? Also, if you have an autofocus lens attached, you need to make sure it is in manual focus mode.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

bobsastro
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: DSUSB and 350D

Post by bobsastro » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:04 am

Dear Doug,

Sorry to be so long in getting back, but I had a two-week trip before I could troubleshoot according to your comments. You'll be pleased to know that setting the camera settings window to Bulb while in M does allow DSLR Focus and the DSUSB to work properly with my 350D. What's strange is that I don't have to do anything to the camera settings window when I'm using the camera with DSLR Focus and one of your parallel port camera control cables I been using for years (on my permanent setup), and I can switch from focus mode (4") to long exposure mode with DSLR Focus and TV to M on the camera without even looking at the cameral settings window. Everything's working fine now for this setup.

Best Regards,
Bob