DSUSB and Windows 7 Failure to Initialize

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
bkalan
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB and Windows 7 Failure to Initialize

Post by bkalan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:57 pm

I receive an error message " Error initializing the DSUSB adapter" when trying to run DSUSBCheck. I am running Windows 7 Pro version (32 bit). The DSUSB does not show an error in the device manager and is listed as a "USB Input Device" under Human Interface Devices and is listed as working properly. The DSUSB works fine on a XP and Vista laptops. I have tried it on different USB ports and hub ports without success. I receive the same error message when I try to run Nebulosity and connect to my Canon XT DSLR. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB and Windows 7 Failure to Initialize

Post by dpanderson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Bob,

I have not yet had access to a Windows 7 machine to test the compatibility of DSUSBCheck. It sounds like this might be an issue. Not being familiar with Windows 7, is there any compatibility modes that software can be installed under to resolve this issue?
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

bkalan

Post by bkalan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Doug

The issue seems to be an incompatibility issue with the System Driver for the HID USB input device and the DSUSB. I ran DSUSBCheck and Nebulosity in XP compatibility mode and got the same error in both applications. The Driver in Windows 7 for the USB input device is dated 6/21/2006 ver 6.1.7600.16385 which looks like a XP or Vista version driver. The same driver works on my USB mouse, also listed as a USB Input Device under HID in the device manager. Looks like the DSUSB should work. My Canon XT worked fine in Nebulosity with a less than 30 second exposure with out the DSUSB.

Thanks, Bob

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:26 pm

It might be a while until I have access to a Windows 7 machine. If you figure this out before I can get back on this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

bkalan

Post by bkalan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Doug

I finally got the DSUSB to work on Windows 7 Pro (32 bit). I had to reinstall Windows 7 as a custom install which is a clean install requiring reload of all software. The upgrade of Vista to Windows 7 option appears to have been the problem.

Bob

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:27 am

Bob,

Thanks for your diligence on this. It sounds like a lot of work, but I am glad to hear you got it working.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

bkalan

Post by bkalan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Doug

I ran into one other issue that prevented my DSUSB to be recognized by DSUSBCheck. It failed when I plugged my Bluetooth adapter into a USB port. The device manager list both my Bluetooth mouse and DSUSB under the HID as data input devices and the mouse worked but the DSUSB issues the DSUSB not found message. The DSUSB works fine as soon as I remove my Bluetooth adapter. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks, Bob

bkalan

Post by bkalan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:35 pm

Doug

I finally got the DSUSB to work with my Bluetooth adapter and lighted external keyboard on Windows 7 Pro (32bit). I had to load your latest Shoestring DLL in Nebulosity2 and loaded your DSUSB Check V1.2.

You probably need to notify Craig Stark to use your latest Shoestring DLL in Nebulosity2 as it would not recognize the DSUSB with my multiple HID Devices in his current download of Nebulositys2 version 2.2.1. Nebulosity2 worked when I replaced the Shoestring DLL.

I also tried DSUSB Check on Windows7 Pro (64bit) and it worked fine with the devices that had 64bit drivers or HID device types.

Thanks,

Bob

imhotep

Post by imhotep » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:07 am

Doug and Bob,

Thanks for the preceding discussion. I am having a similar problem to Bob's and haven't been able to get it working yet. Here's the situation:

- Running a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
- All of my astronomy apps and device drivers are installed in XP Mode so I can run a virtual machine of XP within W7.
- Nebulosity2 recognizes my 350D just fine, which by the way there are no 64-bit drivers for. I had to install it in XP mode. What this tells me is that the VM is working very well and simulates XP. So in theory any device that will work in XP should work in W7 64-bit provided you install and run it within the XP Mode VM.

Now, when I set Nebulosity2 to use the DSUSB, and I get an error that it cannot initialize the DSUSB.

The above problem does not happen on my dedicated XP Pro laptop (which I'm trying to migrate away from due to low RAM and slow CPU). Also, DSUSBCheck will not run even in the W7 interface, nor in the XP Mode VM.

I would really like to get this fixed as currently the DSUSB is my only hope for remotely controlling my 350D.

Thanks.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:11 am

You can download the most recent DSUSB DLL from:
http://store.shoestringastronomy.com/do ... SB_DLL.dll

I don't know if this will fix the problem, but give it a try. Unfortunately, I still do not have a Windows 7 machine to test on. That might be changing soon since my primary computer seems to have a nasty infection!
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

celstark

Post by celstark » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:54 pm

FWIW, I just tried Neb 2.2.5 on a clean Windows 7 64-bit Prof and had no issues. DSLR Shutter worked as well. At some point a number of months ago, I started packaging the newer DLL. Try updating and see if that helps.

Craig