Canon 5D markll and DSUSB problem

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Steve
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Canon 5D markll and DSUSB problem

Post by Steve » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:14 am

Hi Doug..I just bought a DSUSB and cannot get it to work properly....
I first did the check with ''DSUSB check' which did different things depending on little adjustments of how far I pushed the jack into the control box...I did once briefly get both the 'shutter open' and 'shutter close' buttons to work with the camera.The LEDlight controls worked fine and the''shutter open 'button worked some of the time,but has now refused to work at all...wondering if there's a lose connection in the box?
When I tried to operate things through Nebulosity (Version 2) I just got a 'canot find canon DSLR' box on screen,despite everything being connected up ok and DSUSB check finding the DSUSB.
Similar confusing result when I tried' DSLR shutter'...initially it did fire the shutter a few times ( though it fired for a fraction of a second ,despite the bulb setting being set on the camera and' DSLR shutter' being set to 5 second exposure !)
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Steve

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Canon 5D markll and DSUSB problem

Post by dpanderson » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Most of your clues do make is sound like you have an intermittent connection in your DSUSB. Email your shipping address to doug@shoestringastronomy.com and I'll get another one shipped out to you.

As for the Nebulosity error message, do you have your camera's USB cable connected? You'll need both the camera's USB cable and the DSUSB cable plugged in at the same time.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Steve
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: Canon 5D markll and DSUSB problem

Post by Steve » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 am

Thanks for that Doug..I'm just sending the DSUSB back to the retailers who have agreed to replace the unit. I did have both the cables connected when Nebulosity gave the 'cannot find Canon DSLR' message.
Steve