Olympus E-500

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
rich.shippee
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Olympus E-500

Post by rich.shippee » Tue May 05, 2009 8:10 am

I have an Olympus E-500 and Im wondering if you have anything that will work with it for remote shutter control. The one that is listed for olympus says you need the wireless remote. I have one but the remote that goes with my camera is different, it an RM-1 remote. Any idea if it will work or do you have some thing else that would work for remote shutter control?

Thanks,
Rich

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Olympus E-500

Post by dpanderson » Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 am

Rich,

From what I can tell by looking around the Internet, the E-500 does not have a wired remote socket on it. We do not make a wireless remote for the Olympus.

By the way, I had an error on our website that described the Olympus cable we sell. It should read "...compatible with Olympus RM-UC1 wired remote control". I have fixed that error now. Sorry for the confusion.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

rich.shippee

Post by rich.shippee » Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 am

The cable that is used to transfer images from the camera and other things also can be used to control the camera. The camera has control mode and that is how you control the camera with the cable. Olympus has a program call Olympus Studio 2 that gives remote control of the camera. It has a ton of bells and whistles on it that I would never use. Im just looking for camera control and time laps. I just can justify spending if I remember correct, near 300.00 for a program and only use one tiny feature on it. The camea can be controled with a cable it just needs to come from usb not serial. Do you know of anything out there that would work?

Thanks,
Rich

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue May 05, 2009 12:11 pm

The best bet might be to contact software developers such as Images Plus (www.mlunsold.com) or Nebulosity (www.stark-labs.com). You might also try some of the Yahoo forums where you would get a wider readership of your post.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

rich.shippee

Post by rich.shippee » Tue May 05, 2009 12:51 pm

I have asked in the stark-labs group and the olympus yahoo group too. Both have pointed me here. Im not sure if I have talked to the other one you mentioned but I will do so now. Thanks for your help.

Rich

rhirose4

Post by rhirose4 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:00 pm

I just got my DSUSB for controlling my Olympus M43 omd-em5 mirrorless camera. This camera is compatible with the rm-uc1 remote control. Looks like the DSUSB check does wakeup the camera when I hit the AF/Wakeup button but the camera goes into USB mode and does not want to come out of that mode. The DSLR Shutter program can start the shutter (I think) but won't continue on to a next shutter event.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Ryan Hirose

rhirose4

Post by rhirose4 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Ok, here is more info. With both DSUSB check and DSLR shutter up and running:

1) Put camera in Manual, Live Bulb
2) Press AF/Wakeup, camera goes into Live Bulb mode
3) Press Open Shutter and camera starts recording as should
4) Close Shutter and I can then look at image on camera

1) Go though steps 2) above and then press Start Sequence in DSLR Shutter
2) Camera goes into USB mode and displays USB options which is not right
3) DSLR Shutter continues and on eacj pre-frame to post-frame the DSUSB unit toggles red to green to red LED signal but camera stays in USB mode

Hope this helps.

BR,
Ryan

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon May 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi Ryan,

Problems with DSLR Shutter would need to get help from the Stark Labs. I can help you with any electrical issues that arise from our products though. It sounds like that part is working properly.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy