Remote for Panasonic DMC-TZ5

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
ripr

Remote for Panasonic DMC-TZ5

Post by ripr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:27 am

Is anyone aware of a compatible remote control, specifically for shutter release? Wired or wireless. I spent a couple of hours yesterday Googling and following references to no avail. The camera has a USB port (although the manual says "only for image file transfer") and apparently they have upgraded it from a USB 1.1 on the TZ4 to USB 2.0 on this (TZ5) model. From my research, it appears many digital cameras have been hacked via their USB interface, some indeed with remarkable access to multiple variable camera functions via the PC; however, I could find no specific references to the Panasonic TZ family. I only seek shutter trigger.

My need is non-astronomical - I have designed a lazy-susan type device for digitizing 4x6 photos which incorporates a fixed (but manually adjustable) camera mount based on a monopole-like tripod. I want to be able to trigger the camera as each photo is rotated into position under the camera. I am concerned about vibration when manually pushing the shutter release (although under most circumstances the ISO will be sufficient to minimize this potential).

I sort of set a $300 budget. As part of the deal, the wife wants a dual-capable camera. For her - happy snaps - but with 10X optical zoom and stabilization. For me, about a 10 Mp CCD and a remote. I originally selected the Pentax Optio S12 as filling my squares, but now, having to accommodate added criteria based on her input, the S12 was eliminated.

Two cameras available seem to fill our mutual needs - the Canon PowerShot SX110 IS and the Panasonic DMC-TZ5. I am leaning towards the TZ5 because it has everything plus a 3" LCD (bonus for her!) and COSTCO currently has them on sale (~$280) with a 2Gb SD card thrown-in. Generally excellent reviews.

The Canon may (?) have a remote available - it is not clear.

So, back to the query - anybody know (this fourm seems the best place to ask the question) of a shutter control remote that will work with the TZ5 camera?

TIA

Rip