GPUSB/Orion Starshoot/Maxim DL Essential/CGE1400

Questions about hardware and software not obtained from Shoestring Astronomy, but related to our products
Randy Roy
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

GPUSB/Orion Starshoot/Maxim DL Essential/CGE1400

Post by Randy Roy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:02 am

Hi--I'm new to the group and could use some help. I have the above equipment. I'm trying to use my Starshoot as an autoguider. I've loaded the latest ASCOM platform and the ASCOM driver from the SS website and tried GPUSBCheck to make sure the motors run. I am using a new cable from SS as well.

When setting up, I open Maxim DL Essentials, click on the Guide tab and then select "ASCOM" for "Autoguider Output Control Via."The problem is when I go to the ASCOM telescope type, I assume there should be a choice called "GPUSB". Is this correct? Again, I have loaded the driver, but do not see a choice that remotely appears to be GPUSB. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or have any ideas?

Thanks,

Randy

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: GPUSB/Orion Starshoot/Maxim DL Essential/CGE1400

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:56 pm

I don't have MaximDL Essentials, but in the ASCOM Telescope Chooser there should be a choice called "Shoestring GPUSB Guide Port Adapter". It has been a while since I have played with ASCOM, but as I recall, you must first install the ASCOM platform, then install our Shoestring GPUSB ASCOM driver. You might try doing an uninstall/re-install and see if that fixes things.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Randy Roy
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Post by Randy Roy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 am

Yes, I have tried that. The driver seems to load fine, but there is not a choice in the telescope chooser window. I talked to a couple of guys at Orion and they could not help either. I guess this is the frustration of having multiple suppliers providing multiple products, each one seeming to work on its own, none of them working together well. I'll keep plugging away. If I can't figure it out, I'll see about getting a different autoguider.

I did load PHD and guess what? It does not support the Orion DSI monochrome, just the color version. I never could link to the camera with it. Perhaps there are some other packages that will allow me to communicate with both the camera and the GPUSB.

Thanks anyway,

Randy

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:12 pm

With PHD, if you select ASCOM, can you see the GPUSB driver from the ASCOM Telescope Chooser?

If you start up the ASCOM POTH (Plain Old Telescope Hub), can you see the GPUSB driver from the ASCOM Telescope Chooser?
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com