Problem getting my Nikon D7500 recognized

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
johnpd
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Problem getting my Nikon D7500 recognized

Post by johnpd » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:52 pm

I used the DSUSB product back in 2017 for the total eclipse and it worked fine with my Nikon D90 and Eclipse Orchestrator. I am trying to get it working with a newer D7500 and I am having issues. I downloaded the DSUSBCheck program and ran it but I don't know what I should expect. Initially the light on the DSUSB is red. When I run DSUSBCheck and click the "Open shutter button, I get nothing. I can change the light to green by clicking the "Green" button, but I don't think that is the purpose of it. I would think that the light would start green if everything is working? Is this correct? I was concerned that the cable between the DSUSB and the camera might be defective. I found in a post somewhere that if I click the "Assert" button, the camera might respond. I did this and the camera did respond. I clicked the "Open" button and the camera again responded. I clicked "Deassert" and the camera responded again as it did when I finally clicked the "Close" shutter button. So I can get the camera to respond but is there something missing that I need to do to get the camera to respond without going through these extra steps?

When I attempt to connect Eclipse Orchestrator to the camera using the DSUSB, EO does not recognize the camera. It does recognize the DSUSB however. If I directly connect the camera to the computer using the appropriate USB cable for the camera, EO runs fine. So I don't know where the problem is. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

JohnD

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Problem getting my Nikon D7500 recognized

Post by dpanderson » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:43 am

DSUSBCheck provides very low level control of the DSUSB, i.e. it allows you to control the LED color and the two electrical signals all separately. For many cameras, both the "Assert" and the "Open" signals must be used to get the shutter to open. Some cameras only take one or the other signal to get the shutter to open. From your post, it sounds like the DSUSB is working properly.

The DSUSB only provides control of the camera shutter through the camera's shutter remote port. To control all the other functions of the camera, you will need a separate connection between camera and computer using a cable provided with your camera. Do you have this in place?
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

johnpd

Post by johnpd » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:06 am

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your quick response. Regarding a separate USB connection to the camera, I don't recall doing that back in 2017, but that was a long time ago. When I did try the USB connection a day or so ago, the camera was recognized so I don't know if EO sends "take a picture" command via the DSUSB and other commands such as the exposure through the regular USB connection. I am corresponding with some Nikon D7500 people on Cloudy Nights and am awaiting responses from them. I will let you know if I get it resolved.

JohnD

johnpd

Post by johnpd » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 am

Hi Doug,

That was indeed the issue. I misread the instructions for running EO. Once I connected both the PC to the camera via USB and the DSUSB between the computer and the camera's shutter control port, everything worked fine.

Thanks for your help,

JohnD