Tak EM200 and GPCNV-TAK and GPUSB connection method

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Dennis
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Tak EM200 and GPCNV-TAK and GPUSB connection method

Post by Dennis » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:28 pm

Thank you for registering me to the Forum Doug.

I have a Takahashi EM200 Temma II Mount and I connect all my power and data cables to a Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox v2 (UPBv2) that rides on the Losmandy Dovetail attached to my OTA. Previously I have been using an ST-4 Guide cable between EM200 Mount and ZWO Guide Camera and that has worked fine.

Now that I have a Shoestring Astronomy GPCNV-TAK and GPUSB, I would like to connect the GPCNV-TAK and GPUSB via the Pegasus UPBv2 as follows:

Tak EM200 Mount -> GPCNV-TAK -> GPUSB -> Pegasus UPBv2 USB Port. This keeps the overall cable run short.

That is, can I plug the GPCNV-TAK RJ12 Jack directly into the RJ12 Port on the GPUSB, WITHOUT using an intermediary cable such as the GPFC-7 (Guide Port Flat Cable, 7 feet).

Or, do I have to use the RJ12 Converter, as supplied with the GPCNV-TAK and a GPFC-7 to make sure that the pin outs are configured correctly and not inverted or swapped?

Thanks!

Dennis Simmons

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Tak EM200 and GPCNV-TAK and GPUSB connection method

Post by dpanderson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:25 am

Hi Dennis,

The RJ12-to-RJ12 device that comes with the GPCNV-TAK is simply a coupler for adding additional lengths of cable. If you can get your GPUSB that close, you can remove the coupler and plug the remaining cable directly into the GPUSB.

Enjoy!
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Dennis
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: Tak EM200 and GPCNV-TAK and GPUSB connection method

Post by Dennis » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:48 pm

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your quick reply. :D

After I posted the query, I used a multimeter to test the RJ-12 joiner and found that it was not straight through, it tested as a cross over, but then when I looked at my cable, (GPFC-7 (Guide Port Flat Cable, 7 feet)) it was also a cross over so effectively, they cancelled each other out.

Just wanted to make sure, as I didn't want to blow up any expensive equipment. :o

Cheers

Dennis