EQ6-R Pro mount not visible to computer

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
NeedMoreCoffee
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

EQ6-R Pro mount not visible to computer

Post by NeedMoreCoffee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi all,

I have a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro and am trying to use a USB2EQ5 cable to communicate with it. I have thus far been unsuccessful.

I am using the ASCOM platform. The operating system is Windows 7. The ASCOM platform is fully up to date and I believe I have installed the appropriate Sky-Watcher driver. The Shoestring Astronomy cable is recognized by the computer and is assigned a COM port, however this COM port does not show up in the ASCOM options.

I have owned the mount for some years now and it has always behaved flawlessly as far as I can tell, so I don't think there is any mechanical or electrical connection issue. However, I have never been able to get any computer to see it (and I've tried many different configurations, platforms and cables - so I also doubt the problem is the Shoestring cable).

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Please also let me know what more information I can provide. Thank you!

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: EQ6-R Pro mount not visible to computer

Post by dpanderson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Sorry, I just noticed this recent post.

Have you installed the FTDI virtual COM port driver for the USBEQ5? I assume you have since you said there is a COM port assigned.

In the past, ASCOM needed a COM port number between 1 and 7. I think this restriction has been lifted, but you might want to check to be sure.

Did you try EQDIRCheck from Shoestring, just to make sure you can connect? This does require COM port between 1 and 7.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

NeedMoreCoffee

Post by NeedMoreCoffee » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi Doug,

No problem and thank you for getting back to me.

I do not remember specifically installing a virtual COM driver. However, Windows seemed to have no problem finding the cable and assigning a port (COM3 in this case). Should I install a driver? If so, where can I find it?

I ran EQDIRCheck - if I choose a COM port other than 3 it immediately says it cannot connect. If I choose 3 it appears to just wait and I cannot shut it down. Are there any particular settings I should try (e.g. baud rate, timeout)?

Thanks!

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:55 am

Information on baud rate can be found in the quick start guide. You can find a link on this page:
http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/tutindex.html
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

NeedMoreCoffee

Post by NeedMoreCoffee » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Thank you Doug.

I have tried the various baud rates and the recommended ones to no avail. I think I have to admit defeat at this point. Thanks for your help though.