Celestron AVX Mount and PhD2

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
orionphile
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Celestron AVX Mount and PhD2

Post by orionphile » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:17 pm

I am trying to correctly set up my recently purchased new Celestron AVX mount to my Orion Starshooter AG system using the Shoestring cabling system. The website cautions you must use the right cables. Can anyone guide me on what I should order to make this work. Been told I by pass my mount handcontroller to make this work. Thanks for any guidance you can offer

Frank P

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Celestron AVX Mount and PhD2

Post by dpanderson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi Frank,

Just to be clear, which Shoestring cable are you referring to?

If you have the GPUSB to interface to the guide port on the mount, then an RJ12 cable wired pin 1 to pin 1 (we sell the GPFC-7, GPFC-14, GPFC-25, GPCC-5, and GPCC-7) is needed between GPUSB and guide port. This is where it is critical to have a cable wired pin 1 to pin 1.

Since you also mentioned bypassing the handcontroller, I thought you might also be referring to our USB2EQx cable products. These do not work with Celestron mounts, only mounts that use a Synta handcontroller.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

orionphile
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Post by orionphile » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:58 pm

I met an individual at Cherry Springs State Park recently who did own a Synta mount. I mentioned to him that my AVX mount worked exceptionally well with PhD ver 1.11 but it will not track well when I attempt to migrate to PhD 2. He told me to switch to ASCOM and to purchase the proper shoetstring cable from you folks to connect the dots so to speak. As of now, I have no hardware to make this switch. I have the original Orion Starshooter camera, 50mm Guide Scope and the cables that run from camera to guide port and from camera to pc. Given that situation, which hardware would I need to buy from you to make this switch to PhD2 - BTW, thanks for your fast response to my clumsy attempts to communicate.

Frank P

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:03 pm

If you have the Starshooter and you are trying to autoguide to improve tracking, you shouldn't need anything else. Just connect the autoguide port on the Starshooter to the autoguide port on the mount. PHD2 should be able to take it from there.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com