DSUSB and Nikon D90 problem

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
phsxtchr
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB and Nikon D90 problem

Post by phsxtchr » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:13 pm

I connected the DSUSB to my D90 via the DSCBL-15 and connected to my laptop running the DSUSBCheck twice now.
The first time, the camera was switched on prior to plugging into the laptop's USB port. The result was that the D90's LCD top screen immediately went blank and lost all function. After removing all connections to the DSUSB and removing the D90's battery for a few hours and then replacing battery the camera functioned normally again.
The second time, the camera was turned off while USB was plugged into the laptop. Then the camera was turned on. The result was that the D90's top LCD screen remained as it was while the camera was off. After removing the D90 from the DSUSB connection the camera would not turn on or function at all (and still is not functioning).
During both tries, the Check software was able to turn the light on the DSUSB on/off and change its colors but the shutter open/close did not work.

Any ideas why connecting to the DSUSB is making the D90 wig out and stop functioning?

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB and Nikon D90 problem

Post by dpanderson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 am

This is very strange, and something I have not heard of before. The only thing I can think of is that there is either a ground loop or possibly an electrostatic discharge (ESD) event.

If your camera and the DSUSB are plugged into the same laptop, or into the same USB hub, then a ground loop seems unlikely unless there is some kind of issue with the laptop or hub.

An ESD event is what happens when you walk across a carpet on a dry day and touch something metal and get a small shock. If something like this happens when you plug two electronic products together, it can cause permanent damage.

If it helps at all, you can certainly return the DSUSB to me and I will test and repair if necessary.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

phsxtchr
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Post by phsxtchr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks so much for your reply Doug. I've been using the laptop and usb hub for some time with this camera (minus the DSUSB connection) and other astrocams with no ground loop problems so I don't think that is the issue. I have no carpeting in my house and on the day of my first attempt at connecting with the DSUSB I know the relative humidity was fairly high. So, I'm doubtful of an ESD event. Crazy!

We've been in contact with Nikon as well to see if there are any problems within the camera itself. We've been using this camera successfully with APT with a hand held remote to open and close the shutter for exposures over 30s. It's just when we tried using the 8-pin remote connector for shutter control that the problems started.

So, I will take you up on your kind offer to test the DSUSB. I will be sending it a few days.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 am

Sounds good. Please include a note with the package to remind me what to do.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com