1st Time Connecting GPUSB Question

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
h2opolo
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

1st Time Connecting GPUSB Question

Post by h2opolo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and I have dug around a little trying to find the answer to my question so I wouldn't have to bother yall but I cannot seem to find it.

I'm trying to connect the GPUSB to my mount and cannot seem to find a wire diagram on it. Can you tell me if this is right.

My equipment is an Orion Auto Guider and an NEQ6 Mount all controlled by PHD

Do I just connect the USB from the Auto Guider and the USB from the GPUSB to my laptop and then just take the RJ12 wire from my Auto Guide Camera and connect it from the GPUSB to the Mount?

If this is correct that will leave the RJ12 port in the Auto Guider Camera empty because the wire is going from GPUSB to Mount.

If I have this all wrong can someone set me straight?

Thanks All

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: 1st Time Connecting GPUSB Question

Post by dpanderson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:35 pm

You have two options here:

1) The Orion autoguider is like a guide camera and a guide port interface in a single package. So, you run the RJ12 cable from the autoguider to the autoguide port on the mount, and the GPUSB is not needed.

2) Use the GPUSB as the guide port interface. Run the RJ12 cable from the GPUSB to the autoguide port on the mount. No cable runs to the autoguide port on the Orion autoguider.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

h2opolo
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Post by h2opolo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Thank you very much for answering. I pretty much thought that was the case. Can I ask you one other question? If I'm planning on having a laptop outside next to the equipment controlling everything and I want to go inside and use my inside computer to control the outside computer with Team Viewer Software can you envision a scenario for having to use the GPUSB Module in this application?

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 pm

That should definitely work assuming you have everything already working on the laptop next to the observatory. The remote laptop is just functioning as a terminal to the local laptop, all the real work is being done by the local laptop.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com