AZEQ6 connection

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
marcelodeoribeiro
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

AZEQ6 connection

Post by marcelodeoribeiro » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:28 am

Hello,

I bought one USB2EQ6 interface adapter last year.

I bought this adapter by mistake for my AZEQ6 mount.
I plan to use the original mounting serial cable (DB9 <-> RJ11) to connect the USB2EQ6 with the Syscan controller. Is it possible?

I have both USB and Serial connection ports on my PC.

What do you recommend to connect my PC to Syscan and my PC to AZEQ6 mount?

Thank you very much.
Marcelo.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: AZEQ6 connection

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:38 pm

The original serial cable should plug into a port in the Synscan handcontroller I think. You would not need the USB2EQ6 in this case.

You could also plug the USB2EQ6 directly into the port on the mount where the Synscan controller plugs in. In this case you would need the ASCOM software platform installed and the EQMOD ASCOM driver.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

marcelodeoribeiro
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Post by marcelodeoribeiro » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:37 pm

The AZ-EQ6 GT has a RJ45 port. My Syscan connects to Az-EQ6 by this RJ45 port.

I bought the USB2EQ6 interface adapter by mistake. The USB2EQ6 has a USB plug to PC and a DB9 (serial) plug, that's the problem, because my mount has a RJ45 port.

So, I would want to know if I could use the following suggestion:
PC(USB) -----> (USB) USB2EQ6 (DB9) ------> (DB9) Original cable which comes with the mount (RJ12) -----> (RJ12) multi-purpose port Syscan

Thank you very much.
Marcelo.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:39 pm

That will not work. The signal levels and data protocols at the serial port on the Synscan (RJ12) are not the same as the handcontroller port on the mount (RJ45).

You could try this combination:
PC(USB) -----> (DB9) Original cable which comes with the mount (RJ12) -----> (RJ12) multi-purpose port Syscan
and use the so-called PC-direct mode on the Synscan to get the mount to work with EQMOD. There is discussion and instructions on the EQMOD Yahoo group on how to do this. Many people do find out that this is not a reliable way to use EQMOD though.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com