Celestron AVX Mount Autoguiding Issues

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
RAP
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Celestron AVX Mount Autoguiding Issues

Post by RAP » Thu May 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi Doug

I am sure you have heard this story before, I dont seem to be able to get the autoguiding function to work on the Celestron AVX mount, using the Orion G3 to do the autoguiding and PHD2 as the guiding software. Camera works fine and I can get it focused and a clear picture on the screen. The software however wont calibrate and lock on to the star, I have all the latest Ascom drivers loaded so that doesnt seem to be the problem.

Started out trying "On-Camera" guiding through the Orion G3 (Ie. ran the supplied cable from the camera directly to the mount autoguider port). It would appear that there is no communication between the camera and the mount as I could not even manually guide the mount, which is likely why it wont calibrate and lock. The tracking graph displayed no data coming from the mount. Upon reading the G3 data it indicates that you are to connect a standard RJ-12 (6 conductor) jack to camera and the AVX ST-4 Compatible autoguider port, the supplied cable I believe was RJ-11 (4 Pin conductors). To that end I purchased a "6 conductor" jack (it does not say specifically that it is RJ-12) from the local electrical supply shop, it did not seem to make any difference (plus it only came in a 25' length). The information with the G3 indicates that when looking face on at the camera autoguiding port (lock side up) the pin diagram is as follows:

Pin 1 is at the far right and Pin 6 is at the far left of the port, with assignments as follows (and it implies that this is standard ST-4 compatible):
1= NC
2= Ground
3= +RA (Left)
4= +DEC (Up)
5= -DEC (Down)
6= -RA (Right)

I have diddly squat for info on the AVX Autoguiding port, the manual says nothing about the port, the type or its set up, I assume it is ST-4 compatible

The next thing I tried was connecting Celestron supplied USB/Serial Port cable from the laptop to the autoguider port, and was not able to connect to the mount. Admittedly this cable may only be for communicating with the handcontroller only (which it does) and not the autoguider port...the connector at the end is a 4 pin conductor (RJ-11?)

The problem in general seems to be cable not driver related in both cases. To that end I am hoping you can supply cables for both situations (one for on-camera and another for PC direct to Autoguider (USB compatible on the PC side)) so I can hopefully get at least one of the methods to work...or at least satisfy myself that cabling is not the problem. Prior to going on to your website, I thought ST-4 was ST-4 but clearly it can be a grey area depending upon on your equipment. I am hoping that I dont have to rewire anything, but I can (begrudgingly if dragged kicking and screaming) if sufficient guidance is provided...but to that end I am happy to just buy my way out of the issue.

Regards
R

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Celestron AVX Mount Autoguiding Issues

Post by dpanderson » Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 pm

My guess is that the cable you purchased locally is wired pin 1 to pin 6. Most likely it will need to be wired pin 1 to pin 1 as shown in this document:
http://store.shoestringastronomy.com/gu ... cables.pdf

If you know someone with the right crimping tool, they can change one end of your cable. If not, we carry these as the GPFC-7, GPFC-14, GPFC-25, GPCC-5 or GPCC-7 at:
http://store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_gp.htm
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

RAP

Post by RAP » Tue May 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Yes Doug I believe you are correct as it was nothing special ...for a direct laptop to mount the GPUSB would be sufficient then? (plus the GPFC-7)... that would give me both options from camera to mount or from lap top to mount...correct?

R

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue May 10, 2016 6:20 pm

I think you just need to replace the cable between Orion G3 and your mount with an RJ12 that is wired pin 1 to pin 1. I believe the cable you have is wired pin 1 to pin 6.

Of course you can buy a GPUSB as well, I won't mind a bit :)
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

RAP

Post by RAP » Wed May 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks Doug...would like the option to run it either way....so both works for me

R