Bad DSUSB cable?

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
becked
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Bad DSUSB cable?

Post by becked » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:38 pm

I've been using Backyard Nikon to control my Nikon D7000 and have been using my DSUSB cable. The software wasn't controlling the camera in BULB mode so I downloaded the test software with the following results: Greenlight/Redlight working. Light on/off working. Open/close shutter NOT WORKING. What do I need to do to fix this dilemma?

Dave in Chicago

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Bad DSUSB cable?

Post by dpanderson » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:24 am

Hi Dave,

Every camera seems to have a different setup that it takes to get long term exposure to work. For some, it takes BULB mode and the autofocus turned off. If that doesn't help, send me an email at doug@shoestringastronomy.com with your shipping address and I will send out a second cable for you to try.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

becked
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: Bad DSUSB cable?

Post by becked » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Doug, I'll take you up on the offer to try a second cable. I can't think of what could otherwise be causing my issues. I use backyard nikon to run the camera, a D7000, and recently purchased a D500 which the author of BYN says is compatible. I also bought the 10 pin adapter for my DSUSB cable and it does not connect. It's recognized but non functional. 2 cameras no success. by the way the live view mode works very well indeed, but not the bulb...:(

Hope to here from you soon,

Dave in chicago
beckemd@yahoo.com