EQMac to Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-g connection

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
jbeyer
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

EQMac to Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-g connection

Post by jbeyer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:37 am

Hello!

I am quite new to guiding for astrophotography and would like to setup to guide my Atlas Pro mount with a Macbook Pro using a Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 connected through PHD2 then guiding the mount through EQMac. I have used PHD2/ST4 guiding back through the camera (on camera setting in PHD2) with limited success. I understand, hopefully correctly, that guiding through the mount's RJ45 connector with EQMac that it affords two way communication with pointing information to PHD for more accurate guiding.

Needed hardware would include USB2EQ6 > EQDIR > EQCBL1-01 for a hardwire connection. It seems I could just use the BT2EQ5 and directly communicate with the mount via Bluetooth without adding additional cables. Correct?

Out of curiosity is anyone currently using this setup with a Mac to guide their equipment?

Thanks in advance for any information! JB

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: EQMac to Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-g connection

Post by dpanderson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:10 pm

I don't know anything about EQMac, but if it is like the EQMOD software, then this might work.

You will only need USB2EQ5 for hardware if you are plugging in to a USB port. EQDIR + EQCBL-01 is only if you are plugging into an RS232 serial port.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

jbeyer

Post by jbeyer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 am

Thanks for your reply Doug. I thought the USB2EQ5 would work as well but the maker of the EQMac is quite emphatic about not connecting the USB port from a Mac directly to the mount.

http://eqmac.hulse.id.au/content/connec ... -important

An EQDIR adapter is highly recommended. For simplicity sake I will look further into potentially using the Bluetooth receiver as it would complete the connection and eliminate one set of cables.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Our USB2EQ5 and USB2EQ6 provide the same functionality as the HiTecAstro products noted in the article you linked to.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

jbeyer

Post by jbeyer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks very much for the follow up. This is very helpful information. Being a newcomer to the hobby I'm definitely on the steep part of the learning curve. After looking at the device a bit closer and the available driver that looks like the ticket. You'll see my order soon.