BT2EQ6 response times / lag

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
JohanB
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

BT2EQ6 response times / lag

Post by JohanB » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:46 am

Hi all,

I'm Johan, new here. Been gathering tools and goodies to get get going with astrophotography for a few months now, so still in the middle of the steep, steep learning curve.

I've been using the BT2EQ6 on a Macbook Pro, OSx Yosemite 10.10.4, for a few weeks now and i'm still struggling with the bluetooth network performance. Functionally it works fine; i can control the NEQ6 mount from EQMac or using INDI's EQMOD server without any problem, the serial port over bluetooth connects without any issues. However, the communication over the serial port with the mount is very slow/lagging.

I've monitored the traffic and found that response times of the mount on any command over bluetooth are between 250ms and 550ms. This makes the apps talking to the mount very sluggish and not nice to work with. When using a serial cable via synscan (in PC direct mode), there are no issues, so i suspect BT2EQ6 / bluetooth to be the culprit.

Does anybody have similar experiences, or even better, a cure :-)

JohanB
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Re: BT2EQ6 response times / lag

Post by JohanB » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 am

Found the problem; is my OSx installation. Got my hands on a freshly installed Mac (10.10.4), connected the BT2EQ6, installed EQMac, runs like a charm. Up for a reinstall... :-(
Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another. - Plato

Sky watcher 190MN DS-Pro / NEQ6 mount
ATIK414EX imager / ASI120MC-S Guide camera (OAG)