Autoguiding issue. Is my GPUSB bad?

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Cbobchin
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Autoguiding issue. Is my GPUSB bad?

Post by Cbobchin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:08 am

Hi All,

I've been using my G-11 for almost 10 years with no problems. A couple of months ago, I was out trying to image and started having issues primarily no movement during guider calibration.

Here's my setup:
Losmandy G-11 with Gemini I level 4 ver 1.05. I don't know the PCB version.
Meade DSI Pro as my guiding camera
Celestron 80ED as my guide scope
Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB as my guider port
PHD Guiding 1.4. & 2.x
Explore Scientific AR-152 as my main scope (imaging visual etc)
My imaging camera is an SBIG STF-8300c (It has an integrated Guider port.)

I've used this setup problem free for almost a decade (with different tubes).

That night I set up as usual, and started the guiding routine which of course includes calibration. I could see the image and star on PHD and saw it was not moving despite the mount being sent commands to move to the west.

I tried rebooting, plugging and unplugging everything in different orders all to no avail.I tried a couple of different autoguider cables (one never used before) and that did not have any effect..

I checked the GPUSB using GPUSBCheck and I was able to change the LED Color, and turn it on and off. I did not have it hooked up to the scope when I tried GPUSBCheck.

I've had the mount checked out and refurbished by Losmandy and he checked the autoguider port and found no problems with it. So now I'm stuck, Did the GPUSB die, or is the issue something else?

Any help is appreciated,

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Autoguiding issue. Is my GPUSB bad?

Post by dpanderson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:09 am

It seems like that is the cause. If you can run GPUSBCheck with the mount attached and try to move it in each direction, that should tell you.

You can always return it to us for testing too.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

Cbobchin

Post by Cbobchin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi Doug,

I'll try and run GPUSBCHECK connected to the mount this week and let you know the results. Do I need my whole system set up (Guide camera etc) or can I just hook up the mount and test it that way? I'm not sure how much or how fast GPUSPCHECK actually moves the mount. I'm guessing I'll be able to see it move if the mount is getting signals from the GPUSB unit.

If it fails to move the mount, what are my options? Can you repair the unit, what's the cost and turn around time for that?

regards

Craig

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:09 pm

You only need the GPUSB connected to the mount. The movement is very slight and can be hard to notice, but you should be able to hear changes in the sound of the motors.

We do offer a repair service for $25 plus shipping ($6 in the US). Assuming I am not on a trip, I can do that quickly.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

Cbobchin

Post by Cbobchin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:40 am

Doug,

Well I definitely think the GPUSB is bad. I hooked it up to the mount and tried the GPUSB Check. Only the LED responded. No movement of the motors/mount. What's the process to send it in for repairs?

Craig

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:57 pm

I will provide our address in a message to you.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy