USB2EQ6 problems

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
fjeske67
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

USB2EQ6 problems

Post by fjeske67 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:03 am

I'm finding that my USB2EQ6 cable just doesn't work sometimes. I test my connections inside and things work fine but then when I move my gear outside, the mount comes up as an unknown USB device (error 43). The gear gets quite cold now (near Chicago) so I can't tell if it's a temperature issue with the mount itself or the connection or what.

Any ideas? Is there a proper startup order like the mount first, then plug into PC, then startup EQMOD, etc? Is 20 degF too cold for the equipment? Try another cable?

Felix

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: USB2EQ6 problems

Post by dpanderson » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:06 pm

I don't think the USB2EQ6 cable itself should have trouble at 20F. I have not had reports from any other customers of a problem like this. The order you state should work. Use the same order outside as you did when it was working inside.

A google search on this error did show some people have had this problem when the USB connector is dirty. You might try wiping off the contacts on the USB connector. Another possibility is the that cold makes the USB connector fit loosely. Try applying a little pressure up or down on the USB connector and see if that helps. If you can't find anything like this that helps, it could be the USB2EQ6 has issues, in which case I can send out another one for you to try.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

fjeske67
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Post by fjeske67 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks for the response. I shall test again inside and try outside when I get my next clear sky.

If I have more problems, I would like to try another cable as that's the easiest thing to swap in/out, as opposed to the mount or laptop.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 pm

If you want to try a swap, contact me by email at doug@shoestringastronomy.com
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com