USB2EQ6

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
STP
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

USB2EQ6

Post by STP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 am

I recently received a USB2EQ6 interface cable for a new Atlas EQ-G. Connected to a Windows 7 laptop with Windows Framework 4.5, ASCOM, EQMOD, I have not been able to establish a direct connection between the mount and laptop. This is clearly a common newbie problem, but after spending a full weekend trolling the relevant online sites and trying literally hundreds of variations of possible fixes (clearing out all unused laptop ports, reloading software in sequence, investigating possible reconfiguration of the mount via handcontroller, trying different combinations of settings on the eqmod panel and the laptop device manager) I still get "not found" after a typically 12-15 second search on the EQMOD setup panel. I can see the cable listed on Device Manager, I just can't get it to connect to the scope. I'm out of options. I'm happy to return at my own expense----but if a cable problem is a longshot I'd rather move on to my Plan B, since I'm planning a major viewing trip at the end of July, with a scope I haven't even taken out yet. Any suggestions, thoughts, or ruminations would be appreciated!

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: USB2EQ6

Post by dpanderson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Have you tried a different computer?

The EQMOD Yahoo group is a great place to get advice from experienced EQMOD users, so I recommend you try a post there as well.

We can also send you a second cable to try, and will refund your money if you are not satisfied.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

STP

Post by STP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

I'll give it a try when I get a chance. Thanks for your response.

STP

Post by STP » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 am

Great tip! Was able to get connected on a newer x64 Windows 7 computer. Didn't THINK it was the hardware, but one never knows! Thanks so much for setting me straight. Now, if I can pick your brain one last time: I STILL want to get it to work on the older computer (although at least I now have a fallback.) Any recommendations based on your experience on what to tinker with? The port assignments may still be an issue, despite my continuing investigations, but perhaps I'm missing something even more relevant?
In any event, thanks again for your help.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 pm

OK, good news.

For EQMOD to work, the USB2EQ must have a COM port assignment between 1 and 8 as I recall. If the USB2EQ is not in this range, you can re-assign its COM port number. I believe that is done through Device Manager and then editing the properties for the COM port that it is assigned to.

In very rare instances, someone can have a device such as a mouse or keyboard that seems to interfere with the USB2EQ. You may have to try disconnecting from other devices. This one is very tricky and I have not seen an identifiable pattern of when it will happen.

If those don't work, the EQMOD Yahoo group is a great place to go for advice.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

STP

Post by STP » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks again Doug.