Help needed to get GPUSB running with Skysensor 2000

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Thorsten
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Help needed to get GPUSB running with Skysensor 2000

Post by Thorsten » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Dear forum community,

I am trying hard to get my Skysensor 2000 (non PC) working with GPUSB :( . After reading the different posts in this forum on similar issues and checking the different options I was still not successful so far and now hope for your help:

I have successfully installed the GPUSB on my laptop (Win xp pro 32 bit), tested with GPUSB check. I can switch of the green/red LED by clicking on the buttons for LED and RA/Dec. However, when connected to the mount (ST4 port of SS2k) there is definitely no movement/noise etc.

Of course I checked autoguide is on in the SS2k setup and set autoguide speed to 9x in order to recognize any movement.

I then connected the SS2k-GPUSB to AstroArt 5.0. AstroArt accepts the GPUSB and I can switch on/off the LEDs by pressing the direction buttons in the telescope menu. Still, there is no movement of the mount. Also in the guiding menu (using camera simulator of AstroArt) there is no movement of the mount.

I then measured voltages when GPUSB is connected to the SS2k. I measured at the GPUSB box end. As expected, with minus pole on pin 2, I get 4.9V on pins 3, 4, 5, 6 in the default state, and voltages drop as follows when pressing the buttons:
RA+: pin 3 drops to 0.6V
RA-: pin 6 drops to 0.6V
Dec+: pin 4 drops to 0.6V
Dec-: pin 5 drops to 0.6V

Still, no movement of the mount.

I checked the cable (tailor made for the ST4/SS2k set up from astronomiser) and the cable seems to be fine (otherwise I guess I would not get the signals as measured above).
I finally checked the autoguider port of the SS2k by measuring voltage, and there is a 4.9 voltage on certain pins, so the autoguider port not seems to be dead.

I am a bit lost now and wonder what else I could do to identify where the error is :?: :?: :?: . I do not have a different SS2k for testing. What strikes me is that in the SS2k manual it is said that when autoguiding is on the yellow direction buttons on the handbox should be disabled, however, I can still use the buttons even with autoguide mode on.

I appreciate any suggestion!

Many thanks and regards,

Thorsten

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Help needed to get GPUSB running with Skysensor 2000

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm

From the voltage measurements, it looks like the GPUSB and cable is working correctly. I would say the issue is somewhere in the Skysensor. I do notnhave access to on myself, so that is all the help I can provide. You might try a private message to some of the forum users here that have posted Skysensor information.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com