DSUSB and Win7 x64

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
EddieTrimarchi
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

DSUSB and Win7 x64

Post by EddieTrimarchi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:00 am

Hello to all,
I'm trying my DSUSB for the first time and am having some trouble getting it work under Windows 7 x64.
My scouring the boards have uncovered several with this issue, but the only solution I found was to reinstall windows, which I am loath to do for obvious reasons.

Some seem to have gotten this combination to work so I know it is possible!

If anyone has any solutions, please pass them on. Otherwise I have a simple question. How should DSUSB appear in Device Manager ? Is it a serial port or a USB device ?

DSUSBCheck cannot initialise the device and I can't seem to find a reference to it in Device Manager.

The configuration I am using is Canon 5D with USB connection, DSUSB to shutter remote (cable from shoestring), Robofocus (via Ascom), SSAG with PHd (Ascom). Everything is working except for the DSUSB.

Any help appreciated!

Eddie Trimarchi
http://astroshed.com

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: DSUSB and Win7 x64

Post by dpanderson » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:11 am

Unfortunately I don't have a Win 7 64 bit machine here to test on.

It should show up as a USB device.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

EddieTrimarchi

Post by EddieTrimarchi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 am

Hello again!
Please disregard my previous post, it turned out to be my brand new powered extension cable. I have two that are identical, one drives the camera and this new one I got just for the DSUSB. The old one works, the new one doesn't.

My advice to you if you have a similar-sounding issue, try different cables ! And do as I say, not as I did :)

EddieTrimarchi

Post by EddieTrimarchi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:27 am

Hi Doug, I should have refreshed before re-posting.
No worries, it turned out to be something very simple and no fault of the DSUSB, as you have probably read by now.
Sorry to waste bandwidth, I really should have tried a different cable first thing.

All the best