GPUSB and Kenko Skymemo

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
jodaco67
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

GPUSB and Kenko Skymemo

Post by jodaco67 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I'd like to autoguide with my Kenko Skymemo. It has a hand controller but only for RA adjustment. One button stops the motor and the other makes it go 2X sidereal. The hand controller connects to the mount with a 3.5mm stereo plug. The hand controller does not have it's own power supply. The common node is +6V. I am attaching two photos of the controller in case that helps.

My questions are:

1. Can I use my GPUSB directly or do I need relays?

2. If I need relays I'm thinking these are DPST switches and at 6V I'd need the HE123 variation. Does the +6V change the circuit? What do I connect to "Handcontroller Positive Supply"? Does it matter which side of the switch is connected to 14/1 vs 8/7?

3. Do I need to wire to the hand controller at all? Could I wire either directly from RJ12 or relay output to a 3.5mm jack (depending on answers to above questions)?

I'm capable of following a circuit diagram but I have trouble making my own adaptations. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
-Josh
Attachments
untitled-2.jpg
untitled-2.jpg (207.07 KiB) Viewed 9363 times
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (190.43 KiB) Viewed 9363 times

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: GPUSB and Kenko Skymemo

Post by dpanderson » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Josh,

For this mount, you will need our GPUSB-AH model, no relays would be needed, and you should be able to make a cable that goes directly into the 3.5mm jack. You would wire RJ12 pin 2 to the 6V pin, RJ12 pin pin 3 to one of the switched pins, and RJ12 pin 6 to the other switched pin. This is something I could make for you if you can tell me which pin of the 3.5mm connector goes where. It would be the same price as our FCCBL-01 cable ($9.00).
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

jodaco67

Post by jodaco67 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:53 pm

That is great news! It would be better if I hadn't already bought a used GPUSB :)

I'll order the correct one and put the GPUSB up for sale again.

I would also very much like you to make this cable. I'm not sure of the terminology for the 3.5mm connector but the tip is 2x sidereal (RA+ ?), center is +6V and the other is motor stop (RA- ?). How do I place the order?

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Just order the FCCBL-01 cable and send me an email at doug@shoestringastronomy.com to remind me that it is a special cable build for your mount.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

ramv

Post by ramv » Sat May 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Is there a product that allows me to connect the skymemo for RA autoguiding using a standalone autoguider such as the celestron nexguide or similar product? I am trying to avoid taking a laptop/netbook out to the field while imaging?

Apologize if this is a dumb question but this is new to me.

Regards,
--Ram

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sat May 14, 2011 9:10 pm

I believe all that you would need is the cable that is loosely described in this forum thread. The RJ12 end would plug into the guide output from the autoguider and the 3.5mm stereo end would plug into your mount.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy