EQ6 problem

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Adrena1in
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

EQ6 problem

Post by Adrena1in » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:56 am

Hi all,

Quite a while back I bought the Autoguide Port Mod for my EQ6, and only recently have I had a chance to try it. Having a few problems though.

First off, with everything connected up as suggested in the instructions, as soon as I connect my Autoguide camera the DEC drive starts turning. (DEC-) Someone told me that perhaps wires 2 and 5 were reversed, (and that in fact all the wires might be reversed), but changing them round made no difference. (DEC+ seems to be okay and I can control that from my Autoguide camera hand controller, as can I control RA+). The second problem is that I can't seem to get any life from the RA- button on my Autoguide camera hand controller, which I put down to the wiring still, as I've tried two such hand controllers with identical results.

So I'm wondering if anyone here can perhaps suggest (to an almost complete electrical and wiring noob!) what might be wrong here? I'm going to try and get hold of another (shorter) piece of cable and test that to see what happens, but would still accept any advice please.

Many thanks,
Tim.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: EQ6 problem

Post by dpanderson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 pm

That's going to be tough to troubleshoot from a distance. If you have a friend with a multimeter and some knowledge of electronics, he/she might be able to figure it out.

Can you post a picture of the back side of the printed circuit board of the modified handcontroller? I might be able to get something from that.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com