Celestron powerstar II HC and GPUSB

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
clearskys
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Celestron powerstar II HC and GPUSB

Post by clearskys » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm

After reading many posts about modifying a HC to be able to autoguide I am encouraged that there is hope for this old timer.
I just need encouragement that this handcontroller is not much different from ..say the celestron c8 DL unit which was modified earlier.
My controller has the three rates(rotary sw): siderial, lunar,and solar. A map light, a 2x & 4x rate switch(for guiding??). A focus motor rate control switch(The motor plugs into the mount base). The dec motor connects via 5 pin din conn. to this HC also. The power supply can be 9 v to 12 vdc. I've only used this scope for observing, but want to expand my horizons with astrophotography. I don't have a celestron dec motor(option in the old days) but I do have a JMI dec motor w/handcontrol. (I'm going to see if I can wire that into the hc too.)
Please advise me that all I have to do is solder the relay circuitry (gp1 ?)onto the HC, connect your cables up to the PC and it could work. :?: Thanks for your advice.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Celestron powerstar II HC and GPUSB

Post by dpanderson » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:36 pm

I don't have access to one of these handcontrollers, so it would be difficult for me to offer advice. If you could take a picture of the printed circuit board inside the handcontroller and send it to me at doug@shoestringastronomy.com, I might be able to get a better idea of how to proceed.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

clearskys

Post by clearskys » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Doug,
After almost two years of stop and go with my project, I have successfully guided on a star tonight using your GPUSB and relay box ! My 20 year old powerstar II is doing something I never thought possible. After gathering all the parts and building / soldering and double checking , the melding of the handcontroller, relays and GPUSB box couldn't be tested until I finished my rolloff roof "shed" and powered everything up...and it all works....PHD, Nebulosity, the whole shebang. I noticed I could do more refinement on the drift alignment, but small potatoes because the electromechanical stuff works! I have photos but they are too big.
Thanks a million Doug. :D

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Congratulations on your success. Enjoy!!
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

miamichillin99

Post by miamichillin99 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi clearskys

I have the same scope and wanted to start astro photography. Can you give me some feedback if it worked out well. if so can you share how you did it. Before spending money on this hobby I want t be sure I at least have the right scope and mount.

Thanks