Losmandy G11 (non-gemini)+ssag+GPUSB+anything else?

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
amottino
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Losmandy G11 (non-gemini)+ssag+GPUSB+anything else?

Post by amottino » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Doug,
I recently adquired the Orion ssag autoguider to guide my Losmandy G11 (non-gemini) purchased in 2009. The ssag worked fine on PHD to guide a Meade LX200 (through autoguide port) from a friend, but was unable to move my Losmandy at all when connected to the HC/CCD ST4 port on the digital drive console. I tried Maxim with neither success. I was told that GPUSB unit can solve the problem. Please let me know your opinion on that so I can go ahead and buy the unit. I need to be certain that it is going to work since I live really far from US (in Argentina) and a friend of mine currently in US would buy it for me.
Also, I would like to know what difference would the GPUSB make respect to my present setup? Does it provide relays or something? Is it necessary to add something else additional to the GPUSB to be sure it will do the right job?
Many thanks for your attention and best regards,
Aldo

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Losmandy G11 (non-gemini)+ssag+GPUSB+anything else?

Post by dpanderson » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:12 am

Aldo,

If the autoguide interface portion of your SSAG is no longer working, then I think the GPUSB will solve your problem. The only thing I am not sure about is if the software will allow you to choose the SSAG as an imager and separately choose the GPUSB as the guide port interface. I don't own an SSAG, so I have no way of trying this.

In addition to the GPUSB, you will need one of our RJ12 cables. Choose between the GPFC-7, GPFC-14, GPFC-25, GPCC-5, or GPCC-7.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

amottino

Post by amottino » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply Doug.
The Orion ssag CCD connects directly to the USB port on the laptop and also directly to the ST4 port on the mount through the RJ12 cable provided by the Orion manufacturer. You mean that there is an interfase inside de CCD that makes the CCD compatible with the digital driver of the Losmandy, and that this interfase is broken? Do you think that the CCD worked Ok with the Meade LX200 on its autoguide port but not on my losmandy because the meade doesn't need (and doesn't use) that interfase?
As far as I know it is indeed possible to use the ssag as a capture camera and the GPUSB as an interfase on PHD. You just need to select GPUSB instead of On Camera in one of the settings of PHD.
Best,
Aldo

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:45 pm

You can think of the SSAG as a combination of a webcam imager and a GPUSB. It sounds like the "GPUSB" part of your SSAG is no longer functioning properly. Thus, adding a separate GPUSB should take care of the problem.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

shekhar_borde

Post by shekhar_borde » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Doug,

I am using the same exact combination:

Older G-11 (non-Gemini)
Orion starshoot guider (SSAG)
PHD guiding software

The laptop is connected to the SSAG via USB and the SSAG connects to the ST-4 port on the G-11 mount. I can connect to the SSAG from the laptop, but I am having problems getting the SSAG to communicate with my G-11 mount. Can you confirm that using a GPUSB and connecting from the laptop to the mount will fix the problem?

Thanks!

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:03 am

THe GPUSB should work for you. Make sure you also order a cable per the second post in this thread.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

shekhar_borde

Post by shekhar_borde » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks, will do.

amottino

Post by amottino » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Doug, I finally had the chance to test the GPUSB in my setup (G11 non-gemini+Orion ssag) and it worked perfectly! :wink:
I think it is possible that the orion ssag is unable to provide enough impedance for connecting cable 2 with either 3,4,5 or 6, even if it is working in perfect conditions. It will work however in mounts with GoTo systems. Your GPUSB solved the problem by providing and increasing impedance when connecting those cables. I used the tester and confirmed that. So my conclusion is that even for the new ssags (when combined with older G11) the GPUSB is the perfect and necessary interface. It could be the case also for other (Chinese clone) autoguiders with similar features.
Many thanks for your help and generosity, and best regards.
Aldo

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks for the follow up, and glad to hear that your system is up and running.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy