Older Atlas (not goto) and GPKIT?

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
grayhawk
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Older Atlas (not goto) and GPKIT?

Post by grayhawk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:06 pm

Hello all,

I am considering the purchase of a used Atlas EQ (not G) mount. This is the older mount without the high speed motors or the autoguider outlet. It has a dual axis motor with hand controller and it looks like the GPKIT-EQ could be used to allow autoguiding.

My current setup is an Orion Starmax 127 (5" Mak) at f/12.1 with an EQ3 mount. Autoguiding would not be possible with this mount because, in my estimation, the backlash would prevent it. It takes several seconds to reverse course and any autoguiding adjustments in the opposite direction would lag too far behind.

So my thought is: purchase the used Altas, modify it with the KPKIT-EQ and GPUSB. Buy an Orion ST-80 OTA and the necessary rings, and then modify a webcam I already have as the guide cam. My question - would this setup, assuming the Atlas performs well, get me very far in producing nice images? Any estimates on a realistic exposure time for the subs? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Older Atlas (not goto) and GPKIT?

Post by dpanderson » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:31 pm

We usually take care of questions specifically related to Shoestring Astronomy equipment here. Not that we mind your post, but you will likely find a broader audience for your question on a forum like Cloudy Nights or Astromart.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com