general cabling

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Mark Gaffney
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

general cabling

Post by Mark Gaffney » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 pm

I`m looking to set up telescope control from an old Windows 98 computer using Voyager III to possibly a CG-5 mount (not actually my own set-up-but for an uncle) & am wondering how much of the gear we can buy here or where else we should go. For instance a couple of GPFC-9 cables joined by a GPCPL coupler would be my first choice for the length of cable needed. Then we`d need converter cable to go from this to the HC. Does the GPCC-7 Guide port coiled cord have a smaller NexStar HC type connector at one end? I`m sorry if I`m in the wrong department for these questions but where is the best place to obtain the right connector from the serial port of the computer-with possibly a place to plug in one of the GPFC-9 cords at the other end?

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: general cabling

Post by dpanderson » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 am

Our cables are 6-wire, and they have 6-position connectors at both ends. They are not intended to be serial port converter cables though. You might try one of the many astronomy supply companies that have accessories for the CG-5 (OPT, Anacortes, etc).
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com