Autoguiding a Celestron C-8

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
kenthepicman
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Autoguiding a Celestron C-8

Post by kenthepicman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 pm

First of all, thanks for your response to my first question (copied below), and sorry for my delay in picking this "project" back up. I have 4 additional questions - hopefully they won't take much of your time - I've tried to make them yes/no answers.

1. Sorry I'm a bit thick but as I understand the system, I plug the GPUSB, into my laptop running Maxim DL Essentials Edition Version 1.01 ASCOM, and it send s signal to the relays (schematics GP1 - GP4), and these relays then effectively "press the controller buttons" to guide the scope (yes?/no?).

2. I have to make the relay system with components (specified on the schematics), with items I buy from you? or if not - Radio shack (yes?/no?)

3. I note that my HCU cable wiring is "reversed" compared to your wiring diagram (ie white is pin 1 at one end, but blue is pin 1 at the other - so I would have to make a corresponding "switch" between the GPUSB and the modified HCU - do you supply these "reversed" cables? (yes?/no?)

4. I think I'll make the relay system first - this could be a separate "black box" on the HCU line (yes?/no?)

Once again thanks for your help,
Ken
.....................................................................................................................................................
PREVIOUS POST
OK my apologies for this - I'm sure it's on this site somewhere but....
I have a Celestron C8 DL and an Orion Starshoot DSSI camera with Maxim DL Essentials Edition Version 1.01.

The camera has autoguide capabilities and software but the scope mount only has a hand control unit input. It looks like the GP USB is the way for me to go. A friend sent me the GP1 thru GP4 schematics to modify the hand control unit, and I could probably do it, but I'm a mechanical engineer and if the GPUSB is the way to go, that would suit me better.

Thanks - and sorry if this is a repeat question.

KenBkenthepicman

Private message Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this postReply with quote Re: Autoguiding a Celestron C 8 Deluxe
by dpanderson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:33 am

Ken,

Actually, you might need both. The GPUSB creates a link between a computer and telescope mounts with ST-4 compatible autoguide ports. The schematic your friend sent you provides suggestions on how to add an ST-4 compatible autoguide port to mounts that don't already have them.

In your case, I suspect that the handcontroller port on your mount can also be used as an ST-4 compatible autoguide port. If you can figure out if the connector on your mount is pinned out as shown in this document:
http://store.shoestringastronomy.com/gu ... cables.pdf
then you will know for sure.

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Autoguiding a Celestron C-8

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:42 am

kenthepicman wrote: 1. Sorry I'm a bit thick but as I understand the system, I plug the GPUSB, into my laptop running Maxim DL Essentials Edition Version 1.01 ASCOM, and it send s signal to the relays (schematics GP1 - GP4), and these relays then effectively "press the controller buttons" to guide the scope (yes?/no?).
Correct
Ken,

First, let me re-state what I said in the post you included at the bottom of your post. For this mount, I am pretty sure you can just plug the GPUSB directly into the handcontroller port on the mount, and that port will work as an ST-4 compatible guideport. No need to add the relays.
kenthepicman wrote: 2. I have to make the relay system with components (specified on the schematics), with items I buy from you? or if not - Radio shack (yes?/no?)
We don't sell these items. The part numbers listed on schematics are from a distributor called Digikey (www.digikey.com).
kenthepicman wrote: 3. I note that my HCU cable wiring is "reversed" compared to your wiring diagram (ie white is pin 1 at one end, but blue is pin 1 at the other - so I would have to make a corresponding "switch" between the GPUSB and the modified HCU - do you supply these "reversed" cables? (yes?/no?)
When you modify the HCU, you will be adding a port that the GPUSB will plug into. Just wire that one up as shown in the schematics.
kenthepicman wrote: 4. I think I'll make the relay system first - this could be a separate "black box" on the HCU line (yes?/no?)
Yes, you could do it that way.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com

kenthepicman

Post by kenthepicman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks again Doug,
So the GPUSB is the way to go - the only question is - will I need one of your "straight-through" cables or should I use the "twisted" cable from my existing HCU?

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:29 pm

If you are going from the GPUSB to the handcontroller jack on the mount, then you'll need the straight-thru cable.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

kenthepicman

Post by kenthepicman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 am

Doug,
First of all, thanks for the advice.

The GPUSB arrived today, and I downloaded the "GPUSB check" program.
It worked BUT (there's always a but), the drives are reversed so that
Dec+ Lowers the scope
Dec- Raises the tube
RA+ Slows the Ra tracking
RA- Speeds the tracking up.

Actually I kinda expected this from the previous discussions on the "reversed" original HCU cable.

QUESTION
I think this is an easy fix - I simply part cut the cable and make the following 4 changes per your cable diagram.

connect Pin 3 (red) to Pin 6 Blue
pin 4 (green) to pin 5 (yellow)
Pin 5 (yellow) to pin 4 (green)
Pin 6 (Blue) to Pin 3 (red)

Now - am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ken

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:51 am

Ken,

Everything should be fine as is. Since there are possibilities of direction reversals in the optical chain (star diagonals, etc), most autoguide software will either figure out these reversals, or allow you to set the reversals in software. Thus, direction reversals in the electrical systems are permissible also.

You should be ready to autoguide now!
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

kenthepicman

Post by kenthepicman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 am

Ha! Not quite.

I now note the old laptop I intended to use has only one USB port and it is the old 1.0 type. I note the Maxim essentials software talks about the computer (serial port) being connected to the autoguider's jack (in this case the GPUSB).
So here are my 3 dumb questions.......

1. Can I get a USB hub, that will plug into my single 1.0 USB port to drive both starshoot camera and GPUSB???
2. Can I get an adapter to connect to the serial port at one end and the GPUSB's USB plug at the other?
3. Should I have got the GPINT system for this set-up?

I am loathe to do the last as I am hoping to get a new laptop in the near future - although I have some concerns about that since I am not sure if Maxim essentials runs on Vista or Windows 7.

Any advice gratefully received - thanks again,

KenB

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:03 am

1. Can I get a USB hub, that will plug into my single 1.0 USB port to drive both starshoot camera and GPUSB???
Yes, this should work. However, the upload speed for the starshoot might be slow.
2. Can I get an adapter to connect to the serial port at one end and the GPUSB's USB plug at the other?
I've seen plenty of USB-to-serial adapters, but never a serial-to-USB adapter.
3. Should I have got the GPINT system for this set-up?
I'd try the hub first.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

kenthepicman

Post by kenthepicman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Ok - how about a PCMCIA card to USB adapter, in the existing PCMCIA slot.

What I've seen is they are a bit awkward to install and only have power for low power devices. I'm guessing the GPUSB will take less power than the starshoot camera.

KenB

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:53 pm

That would work also. I had one in my old laptop and it worked fine.

The GPUSB takes very little current, about 10mA.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

kenthepicman

Post by kenthepicman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks for the help.

Of course I have more questions...

First - when I'm setting up the Maxim Essentials ASCOM autoguider program it asks what is the telescope. Obviously the C-8 DL is not listed. Presumably this spec will be whatever is required for the GPUSB. So what should I enter here - I note your user manual states ""...in terms of ASCOM, it behaves like a simple telescope mount that is capable of autoguiding." Based on this I would think the selection under the "Telescope Chooser" option would be......."POTH Plain Old Telescope Handset" is this right?

Second - Maxim Essentials on my XP machine wants to use the serial port. How can I tell it to use the USB port I'm installing in the PCMCIA slot? (see previous post)

Once again thanks for all your help

KenB

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 am

I've never used Essentials, but hopefully I can answer your question.

I do know that the full version of Maxim DL has direct support for the GPUSB, but perhaps Essentials does not. Since Essentials supports ASCOM, we should be able to go that route. First you'll need to download and install the ASCOM platform from http://ascom-standards.org/ It sounds like you have already installed this. Then, you'll need to install the GPUSB ASCOM driver from http://store.shoestringastronomy.com/do ... _setup.exe

Now Shoestring GPUSB should appear in the list of telescopes in the ASCOM Telescope Chooser. The GPUSB ASCOM driver knows that it is supposed to find the GPUSB on a USB port and not on a serial port.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

kenthepicman

Post by kenthepicman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:52 am

OK, under the Autoguider Output for Maxim DL Essentials, I have the choice of Shoestring 378, Shoestring 278, Shoestring 3BC - will one of these work for the GPUSB?
Thanks,
Ken

dpanderson
Site Admin

Post by dpanderson » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:45 am

Those settings are for use with our old GPINT-PT parallel port interface. Sounds like Essentials does not support the GPUSB directly, so you'll have to go through ASCOM as discussed previously.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy

kenthepicman

Post by kenthepicman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:00 pm

OK - I'm back - after a year, I'm picking up this project again.
Last year we left the project with an Orion Starshoot Deep Sky Imager (Model #52065) with Maxim DL Essentials. I was trying to set this up to guide a Celestron C8 DL. I had bought the GP USB interface and everything seemed to be going ok - but I ended up with and old IBM Thinkpad running XP that had too many issues.

I now have a shiny new Sony Vaio.........however it is running Windows7 and contact with Orion tech support "indicates" that there may be no Windows 7 drivers for my SSDSI.

Any advice?

My thoughts are (in terms of preference)

1. Identify the Windows 7 drivers and get the camera working
2. Get free third-party software
3. Get Paid-for third party software
4. Swap the new Vaio for my wife's Dell which runs Win XP
5. Buy a new camera (bummer)

Once again hope you can help.

KenB