Guide port cabling

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
Stu
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

Guide port cabling

Post by Stu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:01 pm

The guide port cabling is confusing. For reference lets use the picture in your "guide port cabling" page on your site. If I have a guide cable and I hold both ends side by side with both plugs facing the same direction and with both tabs down, should pin #1 (white) be on the left hand side of both plugs? That seems to be what your directions are saying.

When I do this with the cable that came with my SBIG camera, pins #1 (white) are either next to each other...or one right side and one left side, depending on how you position the plugs. If my SBIG configured cable is backwards for the GPUSB, I could cut one end off and crimp another to match the first discription.

When I use the SBIG configured cable with GPUSB and PHD, my mount appears to stop tracking all together.

Stu

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: Guide port cabling

Post by dpanderson » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Sorry for the confusion. You are correct, holding both connectors side-by-side, both should have white wires on the same size.

Your SBIG cable is indeed reversed from what is required for the GPUSB. Cutting the connector off one end and crimping on a new connector in the opposite direction should solve the problem.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com