RA Callibration Failure

Questions about hardware and software obtained directly from Shoestring Astronomy
jay
Anti-spam question: Astronomy

RA Callibration Failure

Post by jay » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:50 am

I have a CGE 11, Orion 80ED, Meade DSI (for guiding), Canon SLR for imaging. I am running windows XP on T61 thinkpad and use PHD with GPUSb for guiding.
When I start my session using the 80ED as the guidescope, I start the Meade Autostar DSI program to focus and centre the guide star after which I shut Auto star and start PHD. All is well until the PHD goes to the calibration routine. It just cannot get its RA calibration (west) I have tweaked the PHD software in calibration steps from 500 to 3000. But it doesn’t work.
I have used GPUSBcheck and GPusbnudge the test utility like under:
I shut down PHD and then start AutostarDSI . Using the GPUSBNUDGE I can move the star in +Dec, -Dec, -RA but it will not move in +RA or west. I don’t understand why I cannot get the CGE to move in +RA. In simpler terms the mount has to speed up its normal tracking speed to get ahead or to catch the star if it is trailing.
Can somebody enlighten me. ( I am posting this in all relevant forums, CGE, PHD and Shoestring)

dpanderson
Site Admin

Re: RA Callibration Failure

Post by dpanderson » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 pm

On possibility is that your GPUSB or the cable has gone bad. See the first two threads in this forum:
viewforum.php?f=3
for details on how to use a multimeter to check the electrical operation of the GPUSB.
Doug Anderson
Shoestring Astronomy
http://www.ShoestringAstronomy.com